Michaels Stores - Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :( | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :("

Current Employee - Senior Framer
Current Employee - Senior Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
-Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
-I love being able to work with customers and artwork
-This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
-Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
-Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
-There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
-Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
-My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
-The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
-I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
-I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

Advice to Management

People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Way Overworked and very Underpaid!"

Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager
    Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some great people although they come and go very quickly.

Cons

Most employees average about 15-20 hours at minimum wage or slightly above. Management doesn't really do much until they find out a DM or corporate employee is coming to visit, at that point they want to yell and scream and try to fix everything they have been doing wrong since the last visit! My store alone has been through 3 Store Managers in 1 year! Very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more, and hear what they have to say. Don't promote people just because they are there. Consider paying more for great employees instead of paying minimum wage to 20 sub -par employees.

"An Awkward Situation"

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*some great coworkers
    *no overnight shifts
    *opportunity to learn retail
    *on site parking

Cons

*little to no opportunity for advancement
    *raises are set between $0.05 to $0.10, once a year, with maximum incomes
    *store managers rarely get caught in their wrong-doings

Advice to Management

DM should have occasional anonymous surveys for associates to take about store management.