Michaels Stores - Shots in the dark. | Glassdoor

"Shots in the dark."

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate
Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this store and I loved working here the ambiance was right up my alley considering it was a craft store that could easily double as a step-ahead-of-last-resort if one is really trying to avoid having to go to blick's. The work is fast paced but there is room for advancement and benefits, etc.

Cons

It really depends on which one you go to because stock is different depending on where you go and so is management it could be great at one store or just terrible like you won't believe it and well I say read reviews before you go in one and call ahead of time for stock checks because you'll learn a lot more than if you just show up at the store also try using the 'online catalogue' and I put it that way because you cannot place online orders as one would presume.

Advice to Management

New management that has less issues it's okay to have bad days but everyday is a bit much.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Management

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

"Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :("

Current Employee - Senior Framer
    Current Employee - Senior Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
    -Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
    -I love being able to work with customers and artwork
    -This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
    -Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
    -Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
    -There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
    -Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
    -My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
    -The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
    -I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
    -I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

Advice to Management

People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.