Michaels Stores - Store support specialist | Glassdoor

"Store support specialist"

Current Employee - Store Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Store Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Products are easy to learn. My store management is great. Classes offered are fun. Good discount.

Cons

Benefits are not that good. Hours are minimal after the holidays. They do pick back up though. Christmas in July. Pushing too many emails from customers

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fire toxic employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers will probably be friendly and will usually be in a good mood. Working there is never particularly stressful so you'll probably be in a good mood too. Customers are generally polite and know what they want. Most questions you'll get are things that could answered by reading the label of a product.

Cons

Newer employees may get the less that desirable hours.

"Good & Bad"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are great.... Well some of them. The frequent customers usually remember your face and that makes you feel good. Esp. when you're friendly and approachable. Yeah occasionally you'll have some customers that will be annoying, rude, and just sometimes evil. But thats a little rare

Management is pretty flexible with the scheduling. If you can't work certain days, they won't schedule you for those days.

The managers differ from store to store. My managers are pretty cool, and sometimes understanding.

You are not expected to know every product in the store, but it would be good for you to know where a lot of the common items are.

You get 25% employee discount. If they offer classes, I believe if one paying customers has signed up for that class, you can take that class for free.

Cons

This is not a place for lazy people. If you want more than 10 hours a week, you basically have to work for them.

If you want to be a full-time employee, good luck! They sometimes make it hard for you to move up in the company. If you are a cashier, the only position you can be promoted to is front end supervisor, and that is still considered part-time. Oh and if you are a cashier, there is no full-time position, only part-time.

Coupons...... I hate them. The customers have some preconceived notion that we accept multiple coupons at one time.. And we don't. And they use the excuse "Well someone last week let me use 10 coupons at one time...." And they're usually right.

Advice to Management

Can you just get rid of coupons altogether?! Or at least make sure all of the stores are understanding the terms and conditions of the coupons? Make sure all cashiers and back up cashiers are on the same page, because having an irate customer in your face is not very pleasant.

And please allow your hard working employees to be able to get promoted or recognized for their hard work.