Michaels Stores - I've worked at 5 different Michaels Stores, under 8 different store managers in a 5 year time span. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"I've worked at 5 different Michaels Stores, under 8 different store managers in a 5 year time span."

Current Employee - Everything in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Everything in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the work. Personally, I have quite a bit of experience in all departments of the store, so my managers have always let me do what I enjoy most, and I can fill in where needed. My stores have always been like a family to me, and I still go back to my hiring manager to catch up and get advice from him.

Cons

As a whole, there isn't much of a training program for anything... Yes, they have that weird Michaels University online program, but that's a load of crap when you get thrown into framing by yourself and realize you know NOTHING.

I would also have to add some of the unprofessionalism of upper management... They don't communicate well, and sometimes it's like trying to reason with a 2 year old who hasn't had their nap.

Advice to Management

GET BETTER TRAINING. This includes REPLEN, whom I wish to smack every time I work with because they don't know what "put the label on the far left side of the product" means and I have to go around peeling off labels that are sitting in the center of the shelf.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to do a little bit of everything from cashier, help customers on the floor, floral and framing, demos, birthday parties, teaching scrapbooking, so I like the change of pace which keeps the job interesting

Cons

Pay is very low and raises not much better, even though I pick up shifts in framing and help in floral I still get paid the same as the sales associate that doesn't care. Also hours are a problem they encourage managers to only give out less than 4.5 hour shifts or less usually around 3 to 4 hour shifts on average, only full time people get longer shifts. This job is great for high school or college students but other than that good luck. Also they tend to hire people that have no idea about any of the products and have never done anything creative in their life.

Advice to Management

Train all employees, offer a program that rewards employees for knowing the products..if we don't know the product how can we help the customer? Also reward the employees who do care about their job with longer shifts, we keep losing a lot of good employees because Michael's doesn't appreciate them at all.

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Seekonk, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Seekonk, MA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun, creative place to be.

Cons

There is a lot of old people going there

Advice to Management

Nothing to report