Michaels Stores - Pretty cool | Glassdoor

"Pretty cool"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and stand out there are amazing opportunities. The customers are a real cool bunch, and the employees are like family. Great part time job if you are in school or you have another part time job. Easy to get time off.

Cons

The pay is low and the hours aren't that great. There aren't too many full time positions so not too many benefits. People come and go as well as call out on a regular basis....and they kind of guilt trip you to stay and fill the shift.

Advice to Management

If you do what you are supposed to do on a regular basis and hire employees who are willing to actually work then you won't be scrambling and freaking out when the district manger stops by... if you want to motivate your employees then lead by example....don't hide in the office your whole shift or feel that just because you have a title that makes you above doing menial tasks..A good manager doesn't forget were they came from and remembers that they used to be the little guy..

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Close but no cigar!"

Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, Learn how the coupons work, Exposure to products

Cons

Management is a joke. NO communication between manager and workers. Only negative comments made in passing to everyone else who works there.

Advice to Management

Talk TO your employees and not ABOUT them to everyone else in the store. It should come as no surprise that they discuss your comments among themselves and that makes for a rotten work environment when the manager is chronically negative.

"I worked at Michael's for 6 months in the office and putting stock out."

Former Employee - Office/Stock in Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - Office/Stock in Rutland, VT

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being in the store daily and seeing all the new merchandise. Office/accounting/banking! Seeing how the store is run.

Cons

Very unfriendly. No encouragement. I didn't like how management treated the high school and college employees...I didn't want those/any employee think that is the way they should be treated...especially if they eventually go into management themselves.

When putting away stock we had to note the department labels/location codes on the cases to know where the product goes and I hadn't been told that there were department codes! I often had to ask where a product went, and no, they didn't have a 'cheat sheet' with them all listed...I just had to ask and often felt really bad because I felt I was wasting time.

Advice to Management

Please offer a bit longer training period. A tour of the departments would greatly help. And please, for the newbies who have to put stock away, give them a list of the product location codes.