Michaels Stores - Best job I've ever had | Glassdoor

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Coon Rapids, MN
Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and friendly, management uses positive reinforcement and rewards to get the best out of every employee and always is open to advice or suggestions. Hours are very flexible, and employee discounts are pretty nice.
Overall it feels less like going to work with random people and more like a family, I love just about everyone I work with. They're awesome.

Cons

Not enough hours to go around, and there's never enough sales/floor associates around later in the evening to help customers. Hourly wage could be better too, but it's retail.

Advice to Management

Always be sure that every manager is telling new hires the same information. I've known a few that are still confused after a couple months on some really simple things.
Also please let sales/floor associates know that when they're stocking or doing returns, not to flex product into empty spots randomly. It's becoming a problem for those of us who do truck shift to put restocked product away when there's overstock on the wrong shelf.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Zero training, but high expectations."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Some of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

Cons

Zero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Advice to Management

Please provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

"great people to work with...."

Current Employee - Casher in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Casher in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of new people... clean work place...

Cons

Not enough Hour to work, schedule changes with out warning. you do not know what job you will be doing from one day to the next,, sent home before your shift is up.. for lake of work and to many people on the floor...

Advice to Management

Get a schedule that has everyone on a regular work schedule not all over the place...