Michaels Stores - Good place to work, for retail | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Good place to work, for retail"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Rapid City, SD
Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good employee discount, 25% on regular price items, and occasionally up to 50% during employee appreciation weeks.
- Associates can take the classes for free (see Cons...)
- Associates get to demonstrate certain craft projects for customers for a couple hours every few weeks, you get paid to paint/knit/crochet/etc!
- Laid back atmosphere
- Flexible hours
- Can wear jeans, Michaels t-shirts (for now any color, but that may be changing)
- Even part timers have an option for health insurance and a 401K
- Associates wear radios to communicate with each other.
- Store sales plan is announced through out the day so every associate can tell how the store is doing.
- Email collection is their customer rewards program, much better than asking for credit card apps.
Over all I like working here. It's retail so there are bad days, but it's better than other retail jobs I've had.

Cons

- Barely above minimum wage pay
- Same cons as any other retail; the occasional nasty customer, mis-communication with managers and other higher ups,
- Associates can take any course for free, but only one associate at a time, and depending on your instructors you may not offer a specific class. My store has had a cake decorating teacher since I've been there but the knitting, crocheting, jewelry and art classes have been more sporadic. If you like kids any associate can teach the kids courses, if you don't like kids this is a con.
- Minimal training, another retail job I had gave you a whole manual to learn register, this was just an explanation by a manager who showed you how to do things, you were with someone for the first day or two and then let on your own.
- Evening floor person always cleans bathrooms, evening framer sweeps the whole store
- No PTO for part timers

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Working hard with no payback or recognition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great team environment, there are a lot of awesome associates.

Cons

Only yearly salary increases, a lot of micro-managing and too many changes all the time, very little consistency.

Advice to Management

Know the market in which you are addressing more clearly, and be more adapative to your employees.

"WORST company EVERR"

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Company is horrible and so is corporate

Cons

Horrible company ! I just quit today. To much work required of cashiers such as answering the phones while busy and etc. low pay, horrible management, and disrespectful co workers.

Advice to Management

Needs new management!