Michaels Stores - I like the majority of who I work with but the non existence of training can really hurt your work performance sometimes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"I like the majority of who I work with but the non existence of training can really hurt your work performance sometimes"

Current Employee - Cashier in Ukiah, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Ukiah, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers. They don't overwork you hours wise, and you are pushed to take your breaks and lunches on time.

Cons

There is hardly any training except for on the job training which may not be very good, depending on who is working on your first day. You have to get to know the store by walking around and putting things away which isn't an option most of the time as a cashier. Even when you do get to know the store it changes constantly and things are always moving around which makes it difficult.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"REALLY?"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Customer service standards. Great flexibility amongst managers and employees. Not rocket science materials. Great discounts and great program sponsorship (BGCA, Local schools, etc). GREAT work life balance.

Cons

The extreme pay difference from hourly managers to salaried managers is OUTRAGEOUS especially since we all know who REALLY does the bulk of the work. Advancement from within is NEARLY actual It is Impossible to do on your own time base reguardless of how skilled or trained you are. I have been with Michaels 3 years and have literally trained within store my ASM who came from another company with no prior exp. When asked why moving up me wasn't the most logical thing I was given a guideline that stated which positions I needed to be in EACH of them for a year! EACH full time! Which makes absolutely no sense I know the progams, rules, and regulations, and not to toot my own whistle but you won't find a more customer driven sales driven person and my boss knows absolutely nothing about the company....come on...really? Really? REALLY? !

Advice to Management

Use the gift God gave you your brain..Hire soley from within for upper management! Make you tenored employees feel like they'ved earned something. Listen to your employees and maybe you won't have a 2 star rating.STOP NO RECIEPT RETURNS OMG REALLY?

2. "Michaels Stores - Custom Framing"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Average level hourly wage (up to $12.95\hour as certified framer and and up to $20\hour as a frame shop manager
    - Paid vocation, sick days, personal days, holiday days
    - 401k plan, health, dental, life insurance

Cons

- Only 3 days of paid holiday days during the year
    - One week of paid vocation after one year of complete full-time employment, part time employment before that doesn't count
    - Part-timers don't get holiday pays or any other paid days when they are not in the store