Michaels Stores - Good company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Michaels is an overall good company that values hard work and dedication and compensates fairly. in general, they offer great benefits to full time staff.

Cons

Michaels can be a high stress environment. the expectation is always to accomplish all items on the agenda; regardless of limited resourses available.

Advice to Management

Michaels shouls consider investing more money in its staff; both in terms of wage and allocation of overall man hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Overall, a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clermont, FL

Pros

The management is great and I thought they were very professional. They are also pretty flexible to work around your schedule if you have a second job or need time off.

Cons

As with any retail store, it can be boring when there aren't many customers. You also have to deal with mean people sometimes.

Advice to Management

No advice for management. I thought they did a good job of listening. They have a good open door policy.

2. "zero positive reinforcement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Pros

The comradery between the lowly employees and department managers

Cons

Management never compliments a job well done, they only try to instill fear into their employees for doing poorly. Plus they degrade you by doing things like throwing stuff that's out of place on the floor and telling you to put it away... is that necessary? No one is ever truly punished for being incompetent, probably for fear of having to fork out unemployment, they are only condescendingly berated for being a dumb dumb.... even though no one ever trained them beyond those stupid 20 minute videos. Everyone dislikes their job that I know of.... they just tolerate it. Although, if it weren't for the two upper management ( one whom is overworked and as mistreated as the rest, and the other you just have to meet to understand) and the awful customers that love to take out their life's pent up aggression on minimum wage employees who don't have all the Michaels products recorded to memory.... it wouldn't be so bad. Almost all the ladies that work there are fun to work with... the ones that do their job competently are more fun. And when we have enough staff (never) it's also more fun.
    They do not give pay raises or notify you of your right to a pay raise unless you bring it up, and there's never time, or it's not a good time, to discuss it.
    The point system is bullsh*t. The dress code that we have to pay for is bullsh*t. The customer review tickets we're supposed to hand out, the fact that no one ever tries to make anything better, never getting a compliment for working hard unless it's from a customer....... yea, it's pretty bad.
    Why do I still work there? I do not know...

Advice to Management

Please rethink your policy on reinforcement. Positive reinforcement will keep your good employees happy. Give people who deserve a compliment a well earned pat on the back. If someone actually notices once and a while the difference between when I work hard and when I work hard enough, I'm more likely to go the extra mile.... you know? Plus, just because I'm not a manager.... does not mean I'm any less human than you.... And we all like to be treated with a little respect.... even if it's just a little, it's better than none like it is now.