Michaels Stores - Staff creates a good work environment and company compensates employees fairly. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Staff creates a good work environment and company compensates employees fairly."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in West Fargo, ND
Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in West Fargo, ND

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork helps immensely while assisting customers. Staff have a good attitude, and the customers always come first so they are also usually in a good mood.

Cons

You must be able to be on your feet for long periods of time, kneeling and reaching a lot. There is some physical demand.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It seems to be working.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Used to be my dream job, ended up in a miserable high-turnover store!"

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to a wealth of crafting supplies & experienced, savvy crafter coworkers. Stores with full, well-run classroom programs can offer new learning experiences for employees.

Cons

Training is mainly computer based through self guided slide show presentations with intermittent tests. Most management is unwilling or too pressed for time to supplement training individually. Employees are also encouraged to finish all portions in less time than is allotted for training modules. If you're in the wrong group environment, the catty politics that tend to erupt can destroy working moral. Moving up in the company from entry level is essentially gone with a new flattened organizational structure throughout all stores. Hourly store management is forced to rotate through positions in many stores in order to be "promote-able" even though it rarely happens within 8 years of achieving management level.

Advice to Management

Store level operations are not being reviewed higher up in management. I have worked in several stores with countless complaints being made against Store Managers, Assistant Store Managers & District Managers. Many of these concerns were never seen to be addressed by any level of senior Michaels' Management. In fact, many cases led to the employee being retaliated against by the Manager in question after finding out who had talked. The "Open Door Policy" is often treated as an obvious way to remove employees who have concerns by Management looking to protect themselves rather than motivate staff. When I first came to Michael's, I loved every day I got to go back in & spend my shift with wonderful, motivated people who genuinely wanted to be at work. When I left, I had been insulted, undermined, overworked, written up in absence, injured & forcefully threatened out of management. Seeing many of my coworkers leaving at the end of the day looking disheveled, exhausted, emotionally crushed or upset became too much for me & as I could no longer keep myself from feeling the same way; I left Michael's after 5 long years.

2. "Framing"

Current Employee - Custom Framer in Manahawkin, NJ
    Current Employee - Custom Framer in Manahawkin, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

enjoyable
    colleagues are great
    start @ $9/hr
    typically alone in frame shop

Cons

raise once/year.
    pay of pt framer is not much for what you do
    should get some commission or bonuses @ some point - u don't