Michaels Stores - Supportive environment to teach cake decorating classes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Supportive environment to teach cake decorating classes"

Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor
Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Room was always unlocked and stocked with ample chairs and table space. This made teaching very easy for both me and my students.

Cons

Did not fully advertise educational classes and if you did not get a minimum number of individuals to sign up for classes you did not get to teach that particular month.

Advice to Management

Keep teaching rooms free of overstock products

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"It's a decent place to work for artists waiting who need another day job and a little extra money."

Pros

The company offered a lot of discounts at affiliated stores even for seasonal workers, and the hours were decently flexible, considering. The management was also fairly understanding if anything came up and an employee had to miss work. Overall, they treated their employees decently most of the time, and usually left us alone to do our jobs. We could always call a manager to explain something to a customer, and we were treated considerately, even if we broke a rule.

Cons

The store that I worked at was extremely unorganized, and I regularly got pulled aside for breaking policies of which I wasn't even informed. They were constantly changing, and which policies were actually enforced seemed to vary day to day. One day a minor dress code infraction was a major offense, the next it was completely over looked. I was never sure what I was supposed to be doing at a given time, or if I might be forgetting a step that was billed to me as mundane that was actually terribly important. And scheduling was a nightmare for seasonal. We had less than a week notice what our schedules would be, which made making plans or having another job nearly impossible.

Some of the hoops cashiers had to jump through for simple acts of customer service were ridiculous, and a lot of things could have been streamlined and made easier, such as even adding a machine for checks so we were not forced to fill them out ever time and risk getting in trouble for missing something. In addition, the sales department was laughably understaffed, and the cashiers were always on the brink of crisis with how few people they had staffed.

Honestly, it's like working for Wal-Mart (with equally bad pay) with slightly nicer clientele and better discounts to more places. It's a decent job if you really need one though.

Advice to Management

Michael's is an art store, not Wal-Mart. There's no need to treat employees like disposable objects, or to be open on Thanksgiving, or to force so few people to work awful hours. Be different from all those other horrible retailers that get bad press all the time. Also, invest in more art classes for more people, and advertise them more heavily. A lot of people are interested in those, but we offer so few at such strange times, people couldn't take them.

Also, healthcare. Really? Minimum care even for full time, with as little as they make? That's just cold. Refusing to give decent care to part time workers is bad enough, but giving terrible healthcare to full time employees and not even giving them stipends if they chose to purchase healthcare from another source? That's just awful.

"Will hire anybody"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

You can move up fast if you become friends with the management.

Cons

They are always changing the management and never telling the employers. You go to work and they will be a new boss that doesn't introduced themselves. The employees are the ones that end up training their new bosses.