Michaels Stores - Corrupt Management | Glassdoor

"Corrupt Management"

Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor
Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe Michaels is a good company to work for. I get to be creative in my job, I also get to step out from behind a cash register to participate in Demos and Classes. It's a lot of fun.

Cons

DRAMA! The employees talk a lot of trash. Even the Assistant Manager at my store gets involved in drama and gossip. I have been asked to work off the clock. I teach a class, and while all other instructors get 90% of the class tuition, I have been asked to teach the class on my normal hourly salary. I've also been asked to work off of the clock to clean up the classroom and get it prepared for parties. Which adds about an extra hour of work. So i basically get paid $15 to deal with rowdy kids, clean up after them and set up birthday parties for 3 hours. It's ILLEGAL! And when I try to tell my AM that it's against the employee handbook, she threatens to write me up. I honestly feel like this woman is in a constant power struggle. My store manager is AMAZING! The shift managers are AMAZING! But this woman is worse than a lethal injection. She's mean, rude, corrupt and power hungry.

Advice to Management

Watch out for your management! Actually talk to the employees and find out how things are going for them. A lot of the times, people will show you what you want to see so they can get promoted. They even keep up the facade when you're around. But if you talk to the employees, you will get to see how that manager really is.

Like I said, my store manager is absolutely amazing. She is the best boss I've ever had. She really makes the job enjoyable and she is honestly an inspiration. But my AM is so bad, she makes me want to quit my job.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Supportive environment to teach cake decorating classes"

Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor
    Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Room was always unlocked and stocked with ample chairs and table space. This made teaching very easy for both me and my students.

Cons

Did not fully advertise educational classes and if you did not get a minimum number of individuals to sign up for classes you did not get to teach that particular month.

Advice to Management

Keep teaching rooms free of overstock products

"It's a decent place to work for artists waiting who need another day job and a little extra money."

Pros

The company offered a lot of discounts at affiliated stores even for seasonal workers, and the hours were decently flexible, considering. The management was also fairly understanding if anything came up and an employee had to miss work. Overall, they treated their employees decently most of the time, and usually left us alone to do our jobs. We could always call a manager to explain something to a customer, and we were treated considerately, even if we broke a rule.

Cons

The store that I worked at was extremely unorganized, and I regularly got pulled aside for breaking policies of which I wasn't even informed. They were constantly changing, and which policies were actually enforced seemed to vary day to day. One day a minor dress code infraction was a major offense, the next it was completely over looked. I was never sure what I was supposed to be doing at a given time, or if I might be forgetting a step that was billed to me as mundane that was actually terribly important. And scheduling was a nightmare for seasonal. We had less than a week notice what our schedules would be, which made making plans or having another job nearly impossible.

Some of the hoops cashiers had to jump through for simple acts of customer service were ridiculous, and a lot of things could have been streamlined and made easier, such as even adding a machine for checks so we were not forced to fill them out ever time and risk getting in trouble for missing something. In addition, the sales department was laughably understaffed, and the cashiers were always on the brink of crisis with how few people they had staffed.

Honestly, it's like working for Wal-Mart (with equally bad pay) with slightly nicer clientele and better discounts to more places. It's a decent job if you really need one though.

Advice to Management

Michael's is an art store, not Wal-Mart. There's no need to treat employees like disposable objects, or to be open on Thanksgiving, or to force so few people to work awful hours. Be different from all those other horrible retailers that get bad press all the time. Also, invest in more art classes for more people, and advertise them more heavily. A lot of people are interested in those, but we offer so few at such strange times, people couldn't take them.

Also, healthcare. Really? Minimum care even for full time, with as little as they make? That's just cold. Refusing to give decent care to part time workers is bad enough, but giving terrible healthcare to full time employees and not even giving them stipends if they chose to purchase healthcare from another source? That's just awful.