Michaels Stores - Good company to work for, growing, changing for the better. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Good company to work for, growing, changing for the better."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milpitas, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Open Door Policy, Quality products, Good to their people, Training, Set Schedule, Great Benefits

Cons

Dress code has changed frequently in recent years, can be high stress environment

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago Ridge, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my co-workers, and the work itself is a no brainer. I always look forward to working!

Cons

The pay is too low.

"My experience can't be described in one sentence."

Former Contractor - Cashier, Framer in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Contractor - Cashier, Framer in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, gives you experience, opens your eyes to just how rude middle-aged and cranky old ladies can be.

Cons

Everything about working at Michaels sucked. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I went in with high hopes. As a person who loves art and crafting, I figured there's no better place to work than a craft store. I was wrong. Don't be misled. They say you don't need craft experience but it helps...no it doesn't. You'll likely get angry parents shopping for school projects and scrapbookers, and those people who like to shop for floral stems and make you bag them all individually. You'll get customers who complain about the price of things to you like it's your fault. They'll complain about company policy, which you have no control over. You'll realize how lazy people truly are one you have to do recovery. I started as a cashier, by the way. That was my title, but don't worry little ones, you'll have to do recovery and many other horrible things. For example, cleaning the bathrooms. The men's restroom always smelled like a dirty animal shelter and if you're lucky like my store was, your managers will lose the keys to the trash and you'll have to dig it out and put it in another bag...our rip the bag out and pick it up off the floor. Your choice. I started as a seasonal employee...prepare to have glitter everywhere if you work at Christmas. People will dust you with that crap like they're the freaking sandman. They will throw stuff at you and they will not apologize. They will get really mad about coupons too. They will ask, 'what do you mean I can't use ten 40% off coupons? Well, I don't want this stuff anymore.' Prepare to wait forever for a void. Then you'll get people who expect you to do 10 separate transactions so they can use all their coupons. Don't. You're only allowed to accept one coupon per person per day...and expect people to get mad about that. To get away from all this, I switched to framing when the holidays were up.I got a great raise...and cut hours. Let me tell you, if you think people at the register are bad, they're a whole new level of horrible when placing framing orders. I can't even tell you all the verbal abuse and stupid crap I and my fellow framers put up with. The best thing to come from this job is the people I met. The pay sucked, management sucked, hours sucked, customers sucked, my life as a Michaels employee sucked. I hated getting up to go to work everyday. And don't expect a full time position, they're few and far between. A Michaels unicorn, if you will.

Advice to Management

The whole email collection thing is ridiculous. We get a lot of repeat customers, so it's not like I can get a whole lot of new emails everyday. It's not right for your employees to get written up for not having 25% email collection when it's the customer's right to reserve that information and if they've already given it. I don't want to be penalized for not forcing a customer to give emails. I asked everyone. Also, hiring a bunch of part-time employees and hardly any full time is not great. It got to a point that barely anyone was getting enough hours to pay bills. It was beyond ridiculous. My particular location had a new manager who hired so many new part-time employees that he over scheduled a bunch of hours and then cut everyone's hours to fix his mistake. I got maybe 10 hours a week if I was lucky.