Michaels Stores - Michaels Stores undervalue their employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Michaels Stores undervalue their employees"

Former Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself wasn't difficult, very mindless. Other employee's were mostly helpful but very negative and worn out. Management was very willing to address issues and responded well to hard work. They gave me a Sunday off (UNHEARD OF) when I got engaged which was nice :)

Cons

Coupon policy is a joke. We get punished for giving customers coupons but managers make us look like a fool when we refuse to give them one. They push for cashiers to get emails from customers, most customers are either already in the system or not interested. This resulted in most cashiers inputting fake emails to avoid hearing from management. Taking a break is looked down upon. Smokers get breaks but non smokers do not?? I pretended to smoke so that I would get a break. Customers are so so SO rude (mostly in regards to coupon policy). Minimum wage and no benefits or raises.

Advice to Management

Coupon policy needs to be reworked. Stop being so pushy about emails. Start valuing hard workers and firing the slackers that just try and get by. Give a raise when you see a hard worker!! Praise employees more and give more encouragement where it is deserved.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"key holder"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at the Stevens Point store. I liked my fellow co-workers, my store manager, and my district manager. The customers made things a challenge. I wasn't comfortable in the frame shop but that was my own shortcoming. The pay was fair for retail, I would have never left if the schedule was more flexible.

Cons

The schedule is set on a rotation. While this doesn't have to be a hardship on personal time, somehow it become that. I consider every other weekend fair (with exception of more weekends on holidays) and I consider a few closings fair as a key holder but I left because I was given a schedule that was not humane even for someone with no personal obligations. I worked under a reasonable schedule for 5 years and then a new plan came down and the schedule rotation was, in my opinion, not in the best long run interest for both the company and employees.

Advice to Management

Evaluate new implementations based on long run as well as short run results.

2. "Satisfying 'beer money' job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very flexible scheduling; it's possible to get a part-time job here even with very limited availability. Some associates work as little as 5-10 hours a week whenever they are free.
    -Reasonable pay for a cashiering job. Some opportunities for raises and promotions.
    -Easy and generally-stress free work. Can be a little mind-numbing, as one might expect, but certainly not difficult. There's always something (easy) to do even if the lines aren't long.
    -Friendly work environment; I found my coworkers helpful and easy to get along with for the most part.
    -"Customer-centric shopping experience," as the company puts it. I think that the way employees are taught to interact with customers is a good business model. I chose this job because I like arts and crafts, so I really do enjoy discussing projects with customers, recommending and leading them to products, and learning from them in return.
    -Mutually respectful relationship between managers and their subordinates (although I have heard otherwise from former employees of other locations).

Cons

-Lack of training. I'm sure this would depend on location but I was not trained at ALL for my position. "Orientation" consisted of my manager walking me to the front end and saying "You'll be ringing on register 2 today." Learned everything on the job and found out later that there was a whole packet of information I was supposed to receive, plus training videos, tours, etc. Didn't get a locker, name tag, or timecard for a few weeks and still haven't gotten my employee I.D. that allows me to receive discounts at other locations.
    -Lack of clarity and consistency regarding policies and their enforcement, esp. those regarding coupons and the return of custom merchandise.
    -(Still inconsistent) enforcement of very strange and inefficient policies. Cannot drink water while working, even if customers are not present. Associates are expected to memorize lists of information word-for-word that, for the most part, will not have any impact on the way they work. Recent changes in the policy regarding how merchandise is to be scanned were written by corporate workers who have probably never worked a register... scan rate has slowed down significantly storewide.
    -Lazy employees sometimes get away with slacking off.
    -Customers. Obviously, this is not the company's fault, but as with any retail job, expect to deal with rudeness and condescension from customers, at least on occasion. Expect to be held personally responsible for things you have no control over. Expect to clean up after messes. Expect to have to explain policies over, and over, and over. Most patrons are pleasant and easy to work with, though.

Advice to Management

Don't try to change the way your employees do their jobs by simply handing them lists and expecting them to memorize them while providing no context, reasoning, or solid examples.
    Don't write off feedback from subordinates!
    Keep on focusing on the customer... but don't write off your employees.
    Keep on working to change and improve policies.