Michaels Stores - Michaels Stores undervalue their employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Michaels Stores undervalue their employees"

Former Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself wasn't difficult, very mindless. Other employee's were mostly helpful but very negative and worn out. Management was very willing to address issues and responded well to hard work. They gave me a Sunday off (UNHEARD OF) when I got engaged which was nice :)

Cons

Coupon policy is a joke. We get punished for giving customers coupons but managers make us look like a fool when we refuse to give them one. They push for cashiers to get emails from customers, most customers are either already in the system or not interested. This resulted in most cashiers inputting fake emails to avoid hearing from management. Taking a break is looked down upon. Smokers get breaks but non smokers do not?? I pretended to smoke so that I would get a break. Customers are so so SO rude (mostly in regards to coupon policy). Minimum wage and no benefits or raises.

Advice to Management

Coupon policy needs to be reworked. Stop being so pushy about emails. Start valuing hard workers and firing the slackers that just try and get by. Give a raise when you see a hard worker!! Praise employees more and give more encouragement where it is deserved.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"key holder"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at the Stevens Point store. I liked my fellow co-workers, my store manager, and my district manager. The customers made things a challenge. I wasn't comfortable in the frame shop but that was my own shortcoming. The pay was fair for retail, I would have never left if the schedule was more flexible.

Cons

The schedule is set on a rotation. While this doesn't have to be a hardship on personal time, somehow it become that. I consider every other weekend fair (with exception of more weekends on holidays) and I consider a few closings fair as a key holder but I left because I was given a schedule that was not humane even for someone with no personal obligations. I worked under a reasonable schedule for 5 years and then a new plan came down and the schedule rotation was, in my opinion, not in the best long run interest for both the company and employees.

Advice to Management

Evaluate new implementations based on long run as well as short run results.

2. "Great Family Oriented Company"

Pros

Very Friendly, Fun and room for growth

Cons

More time is needed for proper training