Michaels Stores - Nice and fun place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Nice and fun place to work."

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great working environment. Opportunities for promotions.

Cons

Lack of constructive feedback and leadership opportunities.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Awesome"

Pros

Friendly people, organization of aisles are good

Cons

place is small, could be tidier, long lines

"Stressfull, a strong team around you is vital. Will wear you down over time but fun never the less."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is solid for management.
    The constant change in moving products around is a dream come true for merchandisers. By far the most fun part of the job.
    You really learn a lot of the business fast. Custom Framing, custom floral and the fun/importance of those two departments.
    Training program is the best I've seen. Several weeks worth plus a week in Dallas to make sure you get things right.
    Had a great relationship with local stores in the district. Felt like your peers would look out for each other.

Cons

Work life balance is tough if you really care about your job. Expect over 60 hours a week. That doesn't include Christmas time which is more for sure.
    Almost no wiggle room with scheduling policies.
    With access to reports from home, it was safe to say I never really had a day off for a year. You found yourself making the schedule or checking numbers all the time. (To be fair that was my fault too as I was always checking in on my store, but it was hard not to.)
    This company micro-manages like no other. Its annoying but I can see why its needed. So many details need to get done, its easy to miss something.

Advice to Management

To be honest, I wish I still worked there. Very profitable company, as long as you're willing to put in the hours, and you're passionate about crafting, its a great job. Advice to upper management would be to treat the managers with equal respect. Seemed some stores had the new District Manager in their pocket, which caused frustration among peers.