Michaels Stores - As a company, it was obvious that Michaels Stores made an effort to make their employees happy. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"As a company, it was obvious that Michaels Stores made an effort to make their employees happy."

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate
Former Employee - Replenishment Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for a college student. I worked replenishment and management worked with my schedule on days that I had class right after work (let me go early; schedule changes). It's a good environment to be in if you like crafts in any way.

Cons

If you're looking for a career, this would not be the job to have. Everyone working there, except a handful, are part time. During the summer (slow) months it is possible to work only 8-12 hours a week and can be sent home regularly.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Great if you're a cashier or sales associate"

Current Employee - Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, nice customers, good hours during the holidays, pay starts a little above minimum wage.

Cons

Not enough hours year-round, hiring more people rather than giving current employees decent hours. Lied about how many hours I'd be getting if I accepted a promotion, said I could keep my current position and my promoted position so I would get more hours, then decided to cut my old position without asking what I would prefer.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people just so you don't have to interview new people, stop hiring new people when you've got people who have been working at the store for 3+ years only getting 5.5 hours a week. Treat ALL of your employees with respect, no playing favorites.

2. "Poorly run. I would never work there again. Leaving as soon as I get the chance."

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount of course!

You get to meet and help creative people and it's great for a creative person to work in that environment

Cons

Management is terrible. Although many complaints are made to corporate, nothing seems to be done. Managers belittle the employees just because they can. They make up unrealistic goals and blame everyone else while they sit in the office all day or go outside to smoke every 30 minutes. Also, good hearted and great workers are written up for things that there aren't even policies for and no matter how long you've been with the company or loyal you are to it, you can be thrown under the bus just as easy as someone hired yesterday.

The way the coupon policy changes so much is embarrassing. Customers are often confused because we do some things one day and completely different things another day. It is so frustrating being a cashier and getting screamed at because you can not accept a customer's coupon for whatever reason that week.

The pay! Oh my goodness, they pay you like you are absolute dirt. I have been with this company for almost two years and I get paid $7.69 and hour, while others have just started a few months ago in the same position and get paid almost 9 an hour. Others who have moved up from cashier who were supposed to get pay raises have also not received them and it is absolutely ridiculous.

The stores all over Maryland look like trash every night and no one cares unless we are getting audited in which we work late hours on things that have been ignored for months by management and the other employees take the heat and have to stay til god knows when to fix everything.

Advice to Management

Stop being rude. Stop ignoring the needs of your employees and more importantly the needs of the customers. If you would like to keep your employees instead of going through them with a chainsaw then step up and follow your own rules and the corporate rules more importantly.