Michaels Stores - Meh its not bad if you like crafts | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Meh its not bad if you like crafts"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work and the people were quite great there.

Cons

To many crafts, and it reeks of cinnamon.

Advice to Management

Not really much you can offer as advice to a craft store. Find new ways to bring in customers

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Does Michael's Discriminate management jobs according to your age?"

Current Employee - Sales Associate\replenishment Team in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate\replenishment Team in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and the associates that work at Michael's. These are the best things about working here.
    You can learn so much from some of the customers just by asking about their project. I personally have learned about ways to do crafts that I never knew.
    The discounts for associates are really good when used with other discounts.

Cons

The store I work at does not give an associate a chance to move up based on their qualifications and years of service. Could be a corporate thing I am not sure.
    They do not train people well or long enough to give that person complete confidence in their job duties.
    No standard used for what department an associate works.
    They only allow you to work under 25 hours a week. That is until Christmas time and then you may get a couple more hours. That means you could work for Michael's for 10 years and you get no benefits and no paid vacation. They rather hire more employee's then to let the associates that they have get more hours.

Advice to Management

I may be old school but I still believe if the employee has shown ability to do well at Michael's and they have seniority they should be your first choice for advancement.You should not discriminate because of their age. If this person has not met or exceeded the job requirements as an associate then you should not give them raises and create a big ? In that associates mind as to why they were not given the opportunity they deserved. You are suppose to make sure that any associate that applies for a management job has at least the proper amount of time required as an associate before you promote them. I am about to quit because this is the second time I have been turned down for a management position. Yet I have been given associate of the month award, numerous safety awards, made head of a certain department and have always been able to be there and willing to do whatever is asked of me. Both times I had more years at Michael's then the associate that was hired. The second time management did not even show a professional side by calling me or telling me at work that I did not get the job. The only reason I can come up with for not getting advanced to management is my age. I am 50 years old. Wow I must be ready for the grave.

2. "ok for someone who lives with parents."

Former Employee - Cashier in La Habra, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in La Habra, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get your creative juices flowing.its hard not to shop while working! you get 25% off regular priced merchandise. health benefits even if you've been there less than a year.

Cons

Bad management. Some of the other employees they hire know nothing about art and crafts or anything in the store.

Advice to Management

Hire store managers within the company.