Michaels Stores - Never AGAIN | Glassdoor

"Never AGAIN"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Staten Island, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The older people there where really nice.

Cons

Manager NEVER listen to the employees. Manager NEVER around when need or really hard to find.

Advice to Management

Management suck really bad. Never listen to the right people. Some people would hang out I the break room they whole shift. And the manager wont do anything. Would be calling a manager for 5, 10, 15 minutes at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Brutal"

Former Employee - Floral Designer in Yuba City, CA
    Former Employee - Floral Designer in Yuba City, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. It's brutal, hard, dirty work. The manager I had at my store sort of knew the place was evil, but she was as fair and honest as she could be during my tenure there.

Cons

Some of the most cost ineffective short sighted management I've ever worked with. Heavy Merchandising should be done by floor help, not only the florist. Then, the company is so schizophrenic, you're constantly coming in and and they tell you - oh, don't make anything today, instead move this stuff. Then you burn 30% of your measly production hours moving from wall a to wall b. Now, they've decided that there is no merchandising in the vestibule, of behind the registers on the high wall. So That needed to be moved.

Well, in a sane world that would be a two person job, done over night. But no - there aren't enough hours to do it. So I was tasked to do it by myself. I have balance issues as a result of a prior illness. I can't really do that much work on a ladder and hanging things above my head. When I explained my reluctance to become a workman's comp case or a corpse, I was told, well, you're done then.

Then, they cut hours but increase desired production counts. But they want each piece to be unique. And elegant. And then of course, sales are down. Gee, do you think cutting people back to 16 hours, then making them burn half of it moving things around could have anything at all to do with lower sales volume this first half?

OF course it did, but hey the CEO got his big bonus, so it's all good.

Advice to Management

Don't assign non - production tasks to your framer of florist. IT takes time away from them being able to produce pieces with a higher profit level. Plus it's a wast of labor dollars. Let them supervise that heavy merchandising and moving, but let the min wage people do that instead of your higher paid skilled labor.

You lose valuable product and production that way.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, very seasonal if you enjoy merchandising and reseting displays, you will love it here. New computer systems and easy to read plan on grams.

Cons

Terrible regional managers, Their jobs are always on the line and they make sure yours is too.

Advice to Management

If you are looking for a career, stay away.