Michaels Stores - I love my job! | Glassdoor

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you are a hard, dedicated worker, there will be plenty of open doors ahead of you. there's so much to learn with product knowledge and store operations. good benefits for employees. very comfortable, fun and creative working environment! resources for school, adoption assistance, etc..

Cons

the pay rates and hours may be considered low for those seeking a busy work schedule, however that changes if you prove to be a value asset to the company, and quickly! unable to continue offering health insurance to part-time employees, but still offers life and vision.

Advice to Management

maybe it's just because I think my store is awesome and my superiors have been wonderful mentors, but I am proud to say I work for this company!

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Ego bruiser"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent job to have if you're a student. Compared to other popular part-time jobs, this one is far cleaner and the work less humiliating.
    - Work varies from department to department. Each department has its own benefits. Example: In the framing department, you get paid at least 50 cents/hr more than regular cashiers do and working here requires no special prerequisites. It also can be pretty fun (you help customers choose frames and mats for their artwork, diplomas, etc, and joining and finishing the frames is quite interesting. Customers really seem to trust you and appreciate your work).

Cons

- Biggest con, by far, is the lack of praise/recognition from management. Example: I'm not saying I'm the best or most dedicated employee, but I do everything I can to help customers. I follow all the rules. Always get along with co-workers. Some lower-level managers will occasionally pat me on the back for a job well done, but I very rarely hear back from the store manager. I've been working here for more than 2 years and haven't once received the "Employee of the Month" distinction. Not that I should really care, given that this award has the recipient's name placed on a plastic strip glued onto part of a cheap plaque that's hung far up on an unnoticed wall. Plus, there is no real fiscal component involved. But there are certain employees that win this distinction that have either been in for (literally) a month or do a genuinely unsatisfactory job, but are very chummy with the manager regardless. I end up feeling less important. What motivation do I have to work hard if my manager won't notice me?
    - Scheduling may also be an issue, unless you have co-workers you can rely on to trade shifts. You can notify management (in person and in writing) if there is a certain time period that you must have off, but it will most likely be ignored either way. Management will simply throw in your general availability into a schedule-generating computer program and leave it at that.

Advice to Management

Some employees may like to engage in "brown-nosing" and managers consequently like to engage in favoritism. Don't engage in favoritism; it's wrong. Thank your employees if they've done a good job. Show them you care.

2. "More room for improvement"

Former Employee - Crochet Instructor in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Crochet Instructor in Madison, TN

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, better than the competition's. Supervisor was great to work with, work was simple. She always explained everything well and was patient with my mistakes.

Cons

no training needed for the job, certain employees had trouble with my work book. I didn't know I had to call people to talk them into signing up for classes. the crochet council of America has unrealistic curricula, for people who want to learn to crochet, especially older people.
    Also, irregular hours, not enough money to live on.

Advice to Management

Have customer service training for those employees who don't have any telephone etiquette, also team work relationships. Only offer an associate job with combined craft skill than can be used to teach classes.