Michaels Stores - Michael's Arts & Crafts, the good, the bad, and corporate. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Michael's Arts & Crafts, the good, the bad, and corporate."

Current Employee - Head Front End Supervisor in Waco, TX
Current Employee - Head Front End Supervisor in Waco, TX

Pros

My managers were great, they were only hindered by the corporate office. I was promoted from cashier to Lead Front End Supervisor in only 2 weeks, over employees that worked there for 3 & 5 years.
Management also sent me home when they received a phone call from my husband (on my 2nd day working there) that my 18 month old baby was being rushed to the hospital.

Cons

The corporate big wigs think they know what is best for all stores, and they do not easily or readily respond to ideas of change (for the better) from the lower employees.

Advice to Management

Stand up to the corporate offices, with tact and care, of course.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Pay was about the only thing I enjoyed"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Manassas, VA

Pros

Bonus payout was nice. Salary was ok. If I remember correctly, I think that the General manager, if they made they p&l for the year, got a nice bonus

Cons

Communication was poor. No room for advancement. the lack of respect for the time and efforts that the management put in there. district manager would beat you down mentally and expect miracles over night.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your managers of the stores. Learn what they need to succeed in the stores.

2. "You can do better than this!"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Staff in Roanoke, VA

Pros

Probably the only good reason to work there was for the discount on merchandise

Cons

I dont think management has a real clue about what is expected to be done by their staff. If they had to work a day in our shoes, things would probably change. Now the stores are kept so hot that everyone is wilting just trying to get through their days. They seem to think that the store can run with just two or three people working. How does that help the customer?

Advice to Management

Put on an apron and do our job for a change!