Michigan State University Federal Credit Union - Great place to work, not so great programming job | Glassdoor
  1. "Great place to work, not so great programming job"

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

The building atmosphere is awesome at headquarters. Everyone is always smiling and nice to coworkers outside of their department. Training is fun, and I get the feeling that the company tries very hard to make it a good atmosphere for their employees and members. I wasn't there long enough to receive any benefits, but from what I hear, they are quite good. Pay was reasonable for a beginning computer programming.

Cons

I quit because it was not a good fit for me and the direction I wanted my career to go. I was in the computer programming department and when hired, was under the impression that I would be using Java and other tools that would have applicability outside of the financial services sector. However, in my few months there, most everyone seemed to be using a very obscure primitive "programming language" specific to... the company's banking system/software. The tasks I was asked to do in this language were not at all interesting or challenging. I felt like the longer I stayed, the more stale my real software development skills were getting. Additionally, I didn't get along well with my supervisor. They were not respectful of me when I had to take a couple of days off sick. Also, they were quick to criticize and at times seemed confrontational. Leaving was very hard, as I really like the environment, my coworkers, and the general mission statement and principles of the place. But in the end, the position just wasn't right for me and the career I wanted to have.

Advice to Management

In the programming department: Be more honest about what the job entails during the interview process. Don't give the false impression that programmers will be doing most of their work in a real language like Java. Be more considerate and respectful of employee needs and diversity. Overall/higher level management: Keep doing what you are doing. I really liked the atmosphere and work environment. I felt inspired... during training and really got the feeling that higher level management cared about employees and the quality of the company.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2015-08-21
  1. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, time off, coworkers, executive level

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-10-08
  2. "Great experience and opportunity"

Current Employee - Branch Lead

I have been working at Michigan State University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fair salary, many opportunities, great training, positive culture

Cons

The CU is growing much larger and the small town feel goes away slightly with that

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union2019-09-20

Discover more reviews about Michigan State University Federal Credit Union.