MicroAge - Disneyland! | Glassdoor

"Disneyland!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at MicroAge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management, great people, great colleagues, lot's of money!

Cons

that I left the company

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

Other Employee Reviews for MicroAge

"working at Microage"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

Pros

MicroAge allows you to build your own business. There are no Sales Mangers and no metrics to follow. Almost everyone I met there was very nice and easy to work with. Everyone in Sales and Support are great people and very helpful.

Cons

There are some conflicting ideas at MicroAge. I entered into this job with some speculation, but was able to figure out the daily patterns there after about 4 weeks. The reason I say there are conflicting ideas is because the training and mentoring you receive is different than what upper management expects. This advice from certain training individuals will give you an idea of what direction you are expected to go, but in my case, it was not the direction that my boss wanted me to go, and I was released. If you are looking at a career at MicroAge, I recommend that you take the advice of your direct report, the one who can fire you, instead of anyone in a training position.

Another bit of advice before starting there is to not look at prior experiences at MicroAge. When I first started, I made it clear that I had practically no accounts and many of the people there stated that they spent a good 6 to 9 months building a customer base. I was given 2 and a half months, and then released. Unless you have IT accounts, and make sure its at least 10 good accounts, you may struggle as building new accounts is a time intensive job. Overall, I was excited with my progress and very surprised to be let go so soon.

Advice to Management

The training that MicroAge offers needs to be in sync with what upper management is looking for in a sales rep. If the training that they offer conflicts with upper management goals, then the attrition rate will increase and MicroAge will soon gain a bad reputation. I understand that you dont like to interact with the sales people that often, but you need to set a clear understanding of your expectations from the beginning, work with the training staff to help new hires to achieve these expectations and not conflict with them, and offer a timeline to these expectations. If this does not fit your business model, then you need to let your employees know this before they start what your timeframe and expectations are. Two and a half months is not enough time to build a solid IT relationship. Be clear before you hire, you're looking to bring accounts in from other IT vendors.

"Stay away from microAge"

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Tempe, AZ

Pros

They were a growing company with opportunity to advance. If you want to work someplace else within the company, you could switch to that department. Due to high turn over, you could advance very rapidly.

Cons

Senior management could not manage the company once the incredible growth slowed. Money is mismanaged and un planned growth leads to most departments being in constant movement which is very disruptive.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who can manage a company that is not growing, but is sustaining. Plan more than 1 fe wmonths out. A sustaining company should be run differently than a growth one. The leadership does not know how to do this.