Micron Technology - Good Working Experience | Glassdoor

"Good Working Experience"

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time

Pros

Good work culture and helpful collegues

Cons

no one talks about new technology...

Advice to Management

need to open minds for new techniques and methodologies...

Other Employee Reviews for Micron Technology

"Wasted career potential"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The starting salary is not bad, especially in a bad economy where so many people can't get a job at all.

Cons

Boring to the extreme. 12 hour night shifts are hard. Those people who play politics the best win, while those who perform yet lack in the political arena will not get ahead. But get ahead to what? I see nothing around me that makes me interested in going to do that thing. I have been attempting to escape from Micron for a number of years but the job market is tough and I apparently have no/few marketable engineering skills with which to sell myself to an prospective employer. This place makes me wish I had never gone to college. I could have done so much more with my engineering career had I not gotten sucked in by the starting salary of this dead end career. Actually just a job, not a career as I define the word. And I forgot to mention the micromanagement thing which is prevalent at least in the group I am in. I have learned to just smile, as best I can, and say "yes boss". Strong, opinionated, mission focused persons need not apply. Yes men will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

don't hire engineers to do non-engineering work.
    Micron values: all talk. I do not see the walk.
    Continuous improvement should be more of a reality and less of a slogan to sell to whomever you wish to buy it. I don't see it.

"State of the Art Technology in a City with High Quality of Life."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In my position, Micron has been very flexible with my schedule as parent of two and a working spouse. I'm fortunate that I'm not required to go to early morning meetings, as I have to drop my kids off at school in the morning. It's never been a big issue and our lives at home would be much more complicated if it were an issue. The work is (usually) fast paced and challenging.

Cons

It's a cyclic business environment and we seldom make a profit. Stock options and employee stock plans are better on the vendor side of this business. Everyone is always aware that we might not make through the next downturn (through RIF, jobs moving overseas, etc.). I've been aware of this since I started working in this business 13 years ago...I'm still here, but I still think about this all the time.

Advice to Management

None really. Thanks for the recent HR policy updates (2013!) focusing more on employee productivity over "clock watching."