Microsoft - Work with the best, work at Microsoft | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Work with the best, work at Microsoft"

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer
Current Employee - Escalation Engineer

Pros

The best reasons to work at Microsoft:

- Access to new technologies
- On site food/Starbucks
- Intelligent People to work with
- Awesome library
- Access to most needed resources
- Medical benefits are awesome
- Software discounts
- Satisfaction from helping customers
- Great labs to work in.
- Very diverse, respectful culture
- high degree of independence in my daily working
-opportunitues to move into different roles and growth areas
- cool factor
- Zune
= xbox

Cons

Downsides:
 - long hours
- angry customers
- high management overhead
- outsorced support
- dental plan not the greatest

Advice to Management

With all the top talent we have hired, we haven't seen much value increase. Maybe we need to reduce our management overhead a touch...

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Why I find Microsoft a great place for me to work"

Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Colombo (Sri Lanka)
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Colombo (Sri Lanka)

Pros

Microsoft in Sri Lanka is considered as one of the best places to work due to a number of reasons such as; part of the world's larget software company, growth in products, technology and business and in Sri Lanka, due to the caliber of people and the remuneration offered. For me personally, Microsoft Sri lanka is a great place to work because it gives me the ability to work with the best of the best businesses in Sri Lanka as they are my customers. Working at Microsoft helps me to be part of the success of my customers business and provide them the required technical support, advice and get deeper insight to their IT plans. Working at Microsoft Srilanaka makes me a proud person as the company is well recognized for the efforts taken in developing the IT education, reducing digital divide, helping customers to succeed and assisting the local software economy by supporting the ISVs

Cons

Every company has down sides but they may not be a very big deal most of the time if these down sides are not really affecting the performance or morale of a person. However, few down sides include the inability to execute a business activity fast enough to yeld the expected return. Getting too bod down in nitty griitty and not getting the show on the road on time. A lot of people give ideas and very few are available to implement the action items comming out of the accepted ideas. Managers easily get deviated from the plan and end up doing a lot of non-value adding activity. this translates to the subordinate levels to resulting in more planning work and less execution time

Advice to Management

Stick to the plan and change the plan if the need arrise. Set achieveable targets and expectations and give more room for people to enage in programatic activities if required to build long term relationship and potential future sales. Some managers need to polish their management capabilities and decision making maturity specially in toimes of crisis.

2. "Microsoft: If You Want to Work for a Big Company, Go MSFT..."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Tokyo (Japan)

Pros

MSFT is an awesome big company--great benefits, great work-life balance, great job security. It's a great place to work on world-leading software franchises and have an opportunity to have a scope of impact that most start-ups only can dream about.

The people there are pretty smart too.

Also since they've implemented a lot more touchy-feely things in the performance management system, people are much nicer and more human. All in all a great overall work environment for a huge company.

Cons

Although it's a great place to work for a big company, it is a big company. Too many people making too few decisions. Far too many people I know spend their time working and reworking and reworking powerpoint slides that can be reviewed, chewed on and re-edited again to show to someone else. This lack of single point of accountability was really bad.

Also, with so many people career advancement is getting to be pretty difficult. It's getting very tenure based, like a Proctor and Gamble. This is a bummer.

Finally, I think that too few people really have the technical and customer passion that's needed there. Few people are really up to speed on the latest products coming out from competitors or how our customers interact with them. This is a bad habit and too many people have gotten lazy.

Advice to Management

Require that all powerpoints follow Guy Kawasaki's 10/20/30 rule (10-slides in 20 mintues, not less than 30 point font).

Require that all presentations include a "demo," whether it's a storyboard of a feature, a product demo, support calls, whatever. Make the stuff real!

Cut headcount by at least 30% and increase perfromance-based pay to radically reward top performers.