Microsoft - Exhausting | Glassdoor

"Exhausting"

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Benefits, Discounts, Co-Workers, clean work environment.

Cons

Calibration, tons of process, really hard to grow and find new positions.

Advice to Management

The ability to grow and try new things is stifled by the constant fear that failure will show up in calibration. One bad year (or quarter) or a manager that isn't a fan, and you have no opportunity to redeem yourself. You are out. That is not my case but I've seen it happen to many otherwise stellar employees around me.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft's the best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer

Pros

Respect and appreciation from management, high compensation, serious about healthy balance between work and life, excellent health plan, excellent frequent training opportunities.

Cons

Much of our advertising is not only ineffective, it's embarrassing. This is such a long-standing problem it seems like none of the current advertising/marketing executives understand just how awful our advertising is.

Advice to Management

Throw out our entire marketing department and start from scratch. Spend a lot more money on marketing, if and only if you replace the current marketing team.

"Narrow scope, little execution, too much time wasted"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager

Pros

Benefits
    Easy to move around to different jobs/groups

Cons

Narrow scope - very few broad product marketing roles. most are narrow in scope, so the roles can get boring after 18 months.

Little execution - spend more time socializing plans and getting buy-in than actually doing any work.

Lots of time wasted - More than half my day spent in meetings. Due to the matrixed nature of teams, it takes many more meetings and reviews for anyone with authority to make a decision.

Advice to Management

Change the marketing culture. Lots of senior marketers who are spinning their wheels.