Microsoft - Best opportunity in a retail environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Best opportunity in a retail environment."

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Product Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Fun, friendly team environment, a lot of support for employee development whether that is by your peers or management, helps you stay in touch with what's new in the PC/smart phone/gaming industries

Cons

At the immediate store, there is a lot of support and push to get things done but there can be a lot of red tape if the "something" must be first approved by corporate

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job really, keep it up. As far as the guys up in corporate, well hopefully all of the processes will be figured out in the next few years so things can run smoother in the field/on the sales floor.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Highly disorganized, TERRIBLE infrastructure, and very wasteful of my team's time and talents"

Current Employee - Lab Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Lab Manager in Cambridge, MA

Pros

In their defense, overall the company treates their people well. The compensation is a little above average, the medical benefits were very (!) good (but will be changing by 2013, and there is a quite good work/life balance.

Cons

The infrastructure is astonishingly TERRIBLE! ... my team and i waste hours of productivity each week due to network failures, overly burdensome security measure, poor performance and maintainence, and poor communication. In addition my team which is comprised of some of the most talented, intelligent, gifted developers and testers has been horribly wasted. in 2 1/2 years we have had our project stopped and sheleved in lieu of a new a project, as part of major (!) re-orgs 4 times. Furthermore, since we are not in Redmond we feel like outsiders ...mant times we need to remind MS IT, and our own team, that we are not located in Redmond and need additional consideration. What a horrible waste of time and effort.!

Advice to Management

To the senior most execs I would say it's time to stop all the political one-up-mans-ship, start working together and whatever you do STOP drinking your own kool-aide and start realizing that you do not walk on water and your products are not the be-all and end-all that you believe they are. You need to being to fundamentally understand that the tech world is seriously beginning to pass you by while you puff your collective chests out about how great, the company, the products, and you are.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

The only pros i can see is, the work experience at microsoft helps in finding jobs at other companies.

Cons

- You would be like a frog in well, oblivious of any other developments going on in the industry.
    - Very bad work/life balance, often overworked just to impress the manager and almost all managers expect this. Ironicaly, the overwork does not result in better product, since only grunt work paths are choosen and smart work is not valued. Every manager treats his reports as his slaves and thats across the company at all levels
    - Even in the some of the best divisions, product groups in the company, where use of 'advanced algorithms', 'distributed computing paradigms' are mandatory, the engineers are very incompetent and most of them think like an application developer.
    - 'large scale computing' at microsoft is a big joke.
    - Promotions are completely random, highly political compared to any of the companies in silicon valley.
    - In short you are treated like a daily wage blue collar worker, with some good health insurance.
    - All the good rating for microsoft here seem to be either of people who have not realized yet that they are stuck in a mire or who have benefited a lot with corporate politics. For those who dint realize, there would a very hard way out if you work there too long, when you want to get out, since the technologies used, quality of work, analytical skills learnt at microsoft will hardly enable you to find a role even at a mediocre silicon valley company.

Advice to Management

Respect the employees and creativity. Engineering, Research work are not a factory which manufactures products in automated way on to pipeline. Give more freedom and incentive to engineers, for coming up with great idea and smarter ways of doing things. Accept that Not every idea will result in millions of dollars in the next minute its ready.