Microsoft - Welcome to the new IBM | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Welcome to the new IBM"

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Strategist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you like stasis, indecision, and lack of drive... great place to look for a plot.

Cons

Too many to outline, this is not the company you were looking for.

Advice to Management

Wipe it all clean and start with a new slate of individuals who actually understand... everything. Stop hiring retail execs to run a supposed forward leaning Software and Cloud Services company. Also, there are medications and treatments for adult onset ADD... seek them out before making any more decisions.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Software Engineer II"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Pay is good.

Cons

Way too many reorganizations. Also a tendency to keep chasing the flavor of the day in new technologies, causing regular disruption in work. There is a strong move up or move out mentality in management. Employees content with where they are at and doing well there often get driven out) . Mid to upper management often seems disconnected from what is going on.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your small and mid-sized business customers. Cut down on the reorganization churn. In the seven years I was there I went through eight significant changes to the organization. Also keep enough of your M1s, M2s, and ICs in place to keep continuity and tribal knowledge on products which have been built rather than forcing team switches in responsibility which cause significant setbacks in productivity due to relearning to workloads. Seriously watch out on quality!!! I can't emphasize this one enough. The move to combined engineering has caused a significant reduction in quality, and customers are noticing it. Quality is one of the big selling points of our products to businesses. Quality is still getting cut to make deadlines.

2. "PM Intern"

Current Intern - PM Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - PM Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team and benefits!
    Seattle is a good city and campus is really nice.

Cons

Redmond is far from downtown Seattle.

Discover more reviews about Microsoft.