Microsoft - Great tech company | Glassdoor

"Great tech company"

Current Employee - Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brilliant and passionate co-workers make Microsoft an inspiring, challenging, and engaging place to work.

Cons

Communication between groups is always a challenge at any large company and it is true at Microsoft as well.

Advice to Management

Our review system is geared toward building partners. However we can only support so many people at that level. At some point, we need to find a way to balance building partners with building and maintaining products and services.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"The dream that is Microsoft is dying due to mismanagement and a poisonous culture"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I actually loved Microsoft when I first started. The projects I worked on were fun and my coworkers were a blast to work with. While I'd only intended to be there for a year, I ended up signing on as an FTE and staying for many years thereafter. You couldn't beat the health benefits, and the prospect for personal growth was tremendous. You'll meet a lot of extremely passionate, extremely brilliant employees while working there, and those friendships and professional connections will last me a lifetime.

Cons

The review system is utterly broken. It works in such a way that some people have to be the 'bad' employees, even if every single person on the team is doing a great job. This in turn creates a culture in which employees are constantly competing with one another, rather than working together to create something great.

I worked myself exceptionally hard for over 5 years, destroying all semblance of a work-life balance, to leave MS all of one level higher than when I joined. Despite great reviews every year, I could not make headway in furthering my career. When I became passionate about solving other problems, I felt punished for it, as it wasn't part of my 'core competencies' and therefore that work didn't count towards my overall output as an employee.

Near the end of my employment, the frequency of re-organization efforts was just absurd and spoke to poor mismanagement from the executive leadership. Being uprooted and put onto new projects once in a while is one thing, but being moved around every few months with often no input as to where you'd best fit into the company gets exceptionally grating and demoralizing.

The days in which you can manage your career at Microsoft are long gone, at least from my experience in the game division. You are a cog in a larger machine, and will be moved accordingly when it it deemed necessary.

Advice to Management

Creating a culture in which employees are graded on a curve at the sake of all else is doing a big disservice to the company as a whole. It creates an atmosphere of every man/woman for themselves, and breeds outright animosity and distrust between coworkers and larger organizations.

People should be encouraged to pursue their passions and make career decisions about where they best fit into the company, rather than re-orged and thrown into completely different, poorly fitting roles every few months.

"Great Company that lost its way, better to work in Redmond then Silicon Valley"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft was an exciting and inspiring place to work. The amount of creative ideas appearing everywhere was incredible and in the best of teams they encouraged excellence, team work, work-life balance and delivered excellent quality products.

Cons

Group by group differences - some groups were excellent to work in and some were painful. If you find a good group it made all the difference. Microsoft seemed to have a problem with non-Redmond teams - they tried to pay attention and support them but often felt like all events, opportunities were in Redmond and being outside of Redmond was a problem

Advice to Management

Refind your excitement with technology & innovation. The spark was lost (or never had) in Silicon Valley. Back in 2006 Individuals were treated horribly and there was so much bad blood and dislike and management was at the root of driving this problem.
    Re-find the excitement and inspire people to achieve and excel rather then berate and abuse