Microsoft - Microsoft -One of the happiest places on earth! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft -One of the happiest places on earth!"

Former Contractor - Staffing Consultant in Redmond, WA
Former Contractor - Staffing Consultant in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

As an 18 Veteran of Microsoft, I openly express my fondest appreciation for all that Microsoft has instilled in me as a young adult growing up in an ever-changing culture in terms of ethics, personal values, teamwork, accountabilities, how to set clear objectives, exceed my goals, strive for work- life balance, build relationships, work intimately with customers and partners, build products and services and learn to how deal with ambiguity in Corporate America. Whew these are just a few!

Microsoft will and has the capability to exceeed your career goals beyond your wildest expectations! Lending you opportunities to make a difference personally and for millions of customers worldwide.

If you are an individual who strives for EXCELLENCE - Microsoft is the place for you!

Cons

Seriously - I drank too much diet coke - FREE soda and beverages every day!
There are 95K employees the company - Stay Networked!
Be sure you keep in mind - Your CAREER consists of 3 parts - Microsoft, your manager and you. It takes all three of you to make it go!

Wear your badge proudly!

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Building a career at Microsoft"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft offers huge opportunities to build a very successful and rewarding career. There is access to a vast array of resources (compute, data, people, science) but with a focus on shipping compelling and useful software to hundreds of millions of people around the world. There are very few companies who offer this type of challenge.

Cons

On the flip side, it is challenging. For those who enjoy working in a fast paced and challenging environment Microsoft is perfect, but if you have difficulties with self motivation, drive or want to take it a bit easier, then Microsoft is not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to accelerate the time to market with new ideas, introduce more agility to the shipping processes you invented (perhaps time to upgrade), and keep on shipping cool stuff.

"Great opportunities, Great environment, terrible review system and bad managers"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In 10 years working in Finance roles at Redmond the best things are great opportunities (working in different locations around the world and in different roles supporting various business groups), great business partners, working with great employees. Lots of fun activities to participate in (sports and various games on campus).

Cons

Terrible review system - forced distribution that is solely based on sucking up to management chain which I refuse to do. Every year I receive tons of great business partner feedback but get an average review. I get promoted (from level 57 to level 62 in 10 yrs financial analyst to finance controller) and continue to get good opportunities but that's because of the business partners and people knowing my strong work ethic but I always get average ratings which is super frustrating (Reason for looking on this site for a new job). I don't put in 55 hrs/week and give excellent support to my business partners for average review ratings (which results in target stock award of apx 10% and target bonus of 10%). The 55 hrs/week is average (ranges from 35 - 80 depending on time of year and specific job). In 10 yrs I've had 12 managers. Lots of turnover (people moving to new roles) due to bad review system - need to get a new job to get promoted. Most managers tend to push everything down and their role is unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Improve the review system. The 1-5 rating system is only good if you want to weed out the 3-5 ratings. Everyone I know is upset with a 3 rating. It's not the money - we would rather get a rating based on the work we did and get the same bonus (If I won an award presented by my CVP and had all positive business partner feedback why would I get a 3 year after year). The difference between a 1 and 3 is the 1s kiss up to the management chain (finance management chain) rather than spending time supporting their business partners. I refuse to do that so I guess I have to move to a different company that will reward me appropriately based on my work.