Microsoft - Great company to intern at, lots of resources | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great company to intern at, lots of resources"

Current Employee - Development Lead in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Development Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty representative of what the experience of working at a large software company is like. Some of the execs are still technical which is a plus if you're a dev. Starting to take Design seriously, so hiring some world class folks in that area. Some really great devs who are still trying to get the company to innovate. Try to find out where they are and work with them.

Cons

COO was hired from Walmart. Need I say more? Devs are completely disempowered. PMs are running the show. Read the Vanity Fair article for details. The perf review system is as horrible as it says, so plan to leave within 5 years max. After that, MS will start wanting to push you out to hire some new grads to work the machine. Know what you're in for and leave on your own terms.

Advice to Management

Fix perf reviews. Stop hiring biz peeps to manage devs, that's not the way to a great OHI in dev. Great devs do not want to just implement what PM + Design cooked up without having some input in the process. Actions speak louder than words.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Amazing learning experience"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

First, the work atmosphere is motivating, providing a lot of opportunities to learn both the technical knowledge and how the industrial research works. Second, my boss was very helpful, providing a precise advice and guidance for the project I was working on. Finally, the most rewarding part was an opportunity to make a lasting influence, by working on a project that got shipped with the next version of Windows operating system.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the nature of research that requires short term to mid-term benefits. For people who would prefer more fundamental, but riskier research plans Microsoft research might not be the best place to be. Although, that might not apply in general, but only for the unit I was involved in.

"Still a great company"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Good career opportunities.

Cons

competitive, ok work life balance