Microsoft - Microsoft Rocks | Glassdoor

"Microsoft Rocks"

Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

Pros

You are in control of your destiny. I have built my dream job at Microsoft. There are days that I find myself sitting at my desk and it is getting dark out because I lose track of time. I am challenged and feel like I am making a highly valuable contribution - something I never imageined could happen for one person in a very large company.

Cons

It is a big company. The first 3 months are the hardest, you have to learn a new job and a new working culture, once you get past that it is really easy. It is competitive, you are working with some of the smartest people in the industry and some days that can be hard...in other words you never go to work and rest on your laurels, we are very innovative - I sometimes wonder if I will run out of new ideas, which is silly because I have so many concepts to incubate that I will never run out of things to do or think.

Advice to Management

Seniro Management, that is a tough one, I like what is going on for the most part with the company and direction. I would like two things, research roles to be merit based also not tied so tightly to phds and a program to incubate partnerships across product, service or IT teams - this is a big company and I think we need to promote concepts within better cross collaboratively.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Interesting"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Vision, Deal, Empowernment and Accountability, ownership of projects, planning, social responsibility,
    citizenship, congruency, commitment to exclelence and improvement

Cons

Stress, hard competition, Work/liffe balance

Advice to Management

keep it being fun

2. "Working at Microsoft is fun, rewarding and has the unlimited potential of making big impact in technology"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Abundance of knowledge resources, professional and career mentorship, scope for making great impact on the world, opportunities to switch to several different roles and products within the company, great working conditions, amazing place to live (Seattle area)

Cons

Lack of vision for the company at the highest levels of management, bureaucracy, not being agile with respect to competition from smaller companies, getting isolated into highly-specialized silos of work

Advice to Management

Need to focus on core products and technologies and make them better instead of being distracted into too many diverse businesses. Trim the size of the company by weeding out people who do not contribute. Reduce the levels of middle management.