Microsoft - Microsoft Rocks | Glassdoor

"Microsoft Rocks"

Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

Pros

You are in control of your destiny. I have built my dream job at Microsoft. There are days that I find myself sitting at my desk and it is getting dark out because I lose track of time. I am challenged and feel like I am making a highly valuable contribution - something I never imageined could happen for one person in a very large company.

Cons

It is a big company. The first 3 months are the hardest, you have to learn a new job and a new working culture, once you get past that it is really easy. It is competitive, you are working with some of the smartest people in the industry and some days that can be hard...in other words you never go to work and rest on your laurels, we are very innovative - I sometimes wonder if I will run out of new ideas, which is silly because I have so many concepts to incubate that I will never run out of things to do or think.

Advice to Management

Seniro Management, that is a tough one, I like what is going on for the most part with the company and direction. I would like two things, research roles to be merit based also not tied so tightly to phds and a program to incubate partnerships across product, service or IT teams - this is a big company and I think we need to promote concepts within better cross collaboratively.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Interesting"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Vision, Deal, Empowernment and Accountability, ownership of projects, planning, social responsibility,
    citizenship, congruency, commitment to exclelence and improvement

Cons

Stress, hard competition, Work/liffe balance

Advice to Management

keep it being fun

"Microsoft is a Great Place to be if You Love Technology"

Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redmond, WA

Pros

First, Microsoft is a giant in the tech industry - everyone either works with or competes with Microsoft in some form. As such it is a great nexus to be in to be part of the sweeping changes in the industry. Microsoft may not always come out top (at first), but you will be part of the mobile transformation, online services, gaming, software as a service, voice over IP and more. That's a great feeling.
    Second, Microsoft is a large company where moves are pretty easy. I moved from Corporate Strategy, to Business Development, to Product Marketing in Consumer Online Services then to Product Management in Enterprise Servers. Next move will likely be a stint in the field, probably in Asia. The chance to get these experiences is awesome.
    Finally, Microsoft is over the "get rich on stock options days". People are a lot more sensible about base pay, bonus, stock awards, benefits as a whole package. You may not get filthy rich quickly at Microsoft, but you will have a much more stable and comfortable overall life.

Cons

Fisrt, Microsoft competes in so many areas, that it feels like we are always playing catch up to more nimble competitors. This can be disheartening and challenging at the same time, and it definitely takes a lot of energy to keep pushing.
    Second, Microsoft still has a lot of old guard in place at the top and it sometimes feels like "Ballmers old boys rule the roost". But, that is clearly changing as more outsiders are brought in at senior levels of the company.
    Third, Microsoft does best on big bets that require an amazing level of coordination between field, development, marketing, PR and so on. The doenside is that it can lose the entrepreneurial feel.

Advice to Management

Build a clear strategy rather than changing mind every two months. Focus focus focus.