Microsoft - 20+ years Microsoft Customer Services and Support | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"20+ years Microsoft Customer Services and Support"

Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA
Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I always had managers who were fair and really wanted to reward people based on merit (work accomplished and impact made).
I always felt fairly rewarded.
I got to do some pretty cool work and work with passionate, enthusiastic, principled people.
Fantastic benefits.
I had a good work life balance and really appreciated that.

Cons

Sometimes it was tough to get management support, coaching and feedback. They were busy...
Microsoft would do well to have an internal recruiting program. When looking for other positions internally, HR would only offer, "Use the Career site and your network". I could have used help in finding roles that lined up with my skillset and interests.
Sometimes I felt like Microsoft management HR mindset was, "Employees are our most valuable asset!! ...well, perhaps not you, specifically... but employees, in general, are our greatest asset!!!"
At times, Microsoft would publicly support or not support particular polarizing social issues that were not directly related to the product or service or customer set. I don't think this behavior is appropriate for any public company.

Advice to Management

Always work to define and communicate roles in terms of who is responsible for what, and then enforce it. This should limit the politics.
If team work, collaboration and making others great are truly important, figure out a performance model that doesn't reward going it alone and leaving dead bodies behind. I realize that "The How" in the performance model is supposed to encourage that, but there's a lot of tension between "The How" and 'The What" + "Proven Capability"
Figure out how to normalize the performance model so that everyone is rewarded based on merit on a team comprised of top performers or a team comprised of poor performers.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Software Engineer"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of brilliant people. every person has a office which is nice. good services around the company including entertainments, facilities, etc.

Cons

not very open, a lot of closed doors in the company. not many social going around. not a lot of collaboration.

"Get to know your team manager before joining a team"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MSFT has smart people. These are tech fellows and researchers. Follow their ideas and inventions. MSFT has challenging problems awaiting smart people's solutions. Your product may affect millions of people's daily life.

Cons

MSFT has stupid people. These are resource managers and project managers. MSFT has stupid product policies. These are supressions of creative ideas and inventions that may compete with Windows, Office or IE. MSFT has stupid people policies. These are constrained mobility, annual reviews and caliberation -a total joke.

Advice to Management

Be careful when you join a MSFT team. Get to know your team manager - some of them are evil politicians.