Microsoft - If you market yourself, build your brand, you can do well. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"If you market yourself, build your brand, you can do well."

Former Employee - Account Technology Specialist (ATS) in New York, NY
Former Employee - Account Technology Specialist (ATS) in New York, NY

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Very little late night or week end work on your actual job.

Cons

Stack ranking requires you to constantly market yourself and your accomplishements to other managers. If you are the person who likes to work hard, do a great job, and be recognized for it, this is not the place for you. You have to spend 15-20% of your time telling other people how great you are. Those who do it well rise quickly.

Advice to Management

There has to be a better way to recognize talent in your teams. Find it.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Probably fine if you live in WA"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microsoft offers very good benefits (except for PTO, which is average), and the employee stock purchase plan, bonuses, and stock grants make leaving difficult.

Cons

I worked as part of a small remote team which had become part of Microsoft via an acquisition. My team and I found that if you don't live in Redmond or Bellevue, it's much harder to feel included as part of the larger team and very hard to be promoted or recognized for your full contribution. They had a ranking-style "bucket" review system that meant that someone always had to be put in the "bottom bucket", an awkward situation for any manager. My team and I found that our manager preferred to put his out-of-towners in those bottom buckets, and it was harder for us to defend ourselves against this action from afar. We had to push to be invited to visit Bellevue or Redmond, and our requests were often delayed or denied, so it seemed like we were held in remote reserve for the convenience of being put in the bottom bucket. We felt like orphans, to be sure. Our boss generally did not like working with remote employees, and we could not have been more aware of that fact. As I was leaving the company, the "bucketing" review system was being phased out, but the overall Redmond-centric vibe in the company is still something to be wary of.

Advice to Management

A lot of lip service is given at Microsoft to becoming less Redmond-centric, but to accomplish this the company needs more accountability and structure when it comes to managing remote teams.

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, free unlimited sodas, the setup company for working inside to get stuff done. MSFT still can be one of the best places to work.

Cons

The SCORECARD has become the thorn in everyones side. Working not to make the business great but to hit scorecard metrics continues to be the big rub.

Advice to Management

Horrible middle management eliminates one great worker after another that walk out the door with separate packages and a tone of MSFT IP in their heads. Stop this.