Microsoft - good stable career choice for people with family | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"good stable career choice for people with family"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Program Manager II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stability, work life balance, good salary, ability to move jobs within the company easily and try out different things.

Cons

less exciting; corporate mindset and huge corporate structure

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great company, but I was in a hostile work environment so left a lot to be desired."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great people for the most part. Interesting work, fast paced and very diverse. Many perks, great campus and overall a good place to work.

Cons

Several people in leadership roles acted like children much of the time. Corporate VP was a loud mouth who had a permanent strain in his arm from patting himself on the back for work other did. GM in my group was so biased that I was amazed at her conduct. I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that act like little kids during meetings.

"Great People, Good Pay, Work/Life balance only ok to poor (but they were working on that as I was leaving)."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

#1. Smart co-workers everywhere, and you'll bond soon enough when "con #1" (below) happens.
    #2. They had started working on Flexible work arrangements and it was working well.
    #3. You will be challenged
    #4. Some great HR and pay polices

Cons

#1 Depending on which group you are in, the business cycle is around 3 to 4 years, you will have a very demanding peak period. For Dev it is the "death march" in the last 3 to 6 months (to year) before RTM, for CSS, Premier, and HR it is 3 to 6 months after RTM. - Just learn to ride the wave... whatever cycle your business rides, find it, accept it, and keep your feet underneath you. It will level off in 6 to 9 months.Morale always drops, don't get caught in that wave, it will make your time miserable. Keep your chin up, keep your balance, and you can acctually rise up quickly during the high tide.

#2 Some really bad HR/Pay policies, as a manager I sometimes found this very restrictive in how I could pay for performance. It went from guideline to policy, and took a lot of control a way from the direct managers. Sometime your review rankings would come back down changed from higher level management, and you would have to switch from a "You've been doing great work" to "You need to step it up", simply because higher management tweaked the budget somewhere.

Advice to Management

Break out the good stuff! So many great products die before RTM, or sit in R&D untapped. MS had a great video on what life with technology would look like in 2020. I personally think they need to hit that by 2015 or sooner otherwise they will be 5 years behind.