Microsoft - Great Place to Work, Challenging with Good Work/Life Balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great Place to Work, Challenging with Good Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work on some of the most impactful products and have a lot of autonomy. The company really lets you define your work/life balance well.

Cons

Sometimes there can be too little willingness to take risks and a bit too much bureaucracy

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Working in Windows"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Office for almost each employee.
    - Working on products seen and used by billions.
    - Large and variable set of automation, synchronization, coding.
    - Large and awesome set of training courses.
    - Excellent name recognition: I do not have to explain where I work or what I do.
    - Windows is the strongest and most technical part of Microsoft.

Cons

- After the design phase, you focus on very narrow stuff which limits your learning.
    - Good visible projects are assigned based on your relation to level-2 managers. If the relation is good, then you get good projects and good reviews. Otherwise, you are screwed.
    - Technical excellence is not the key in survival, but communicating every single item you work on to anybody and everybody plus courting them. Sometimes, it is just too corny.
    - Try to move to Project Manager (fastest promotions) or to developrment (2nd fastest promotions), and avoid test as it will affect your job seeking afterwards.

Advice to Management

I have been exposed to higher management: directors and VPs. Managers try their hard to cover their a---- more than handling the product quality. Anybody that may threaten this, will result in his demise.
    Second, Microsoft is a very powerful company, and we had core issues that led to our success: openness to third party developers and our ecosystem. The trend of secrecy to increase the Wow factor, copied from Apple, is not very good to our company.

"On the up and up"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership is turning the company ship and moving fast. Many are excited since MS used to be at the top of the world and no more. But the fire and been lit under their asses and it's movin'. Kinect, Windows 8, Surface, Pixel Perfect, all these products are a start to change the world and the 800 lbs gorilla is going to make a difference again.

Cons

Only join the Windows, Xbox, and Phone teams. Few other teams are promoting. Join one of the teams that Microsoft is seriously betting on for the long term of the company. The other teams are not given as much priority or budget for growth and promos.