Microsoft - Working in Windows | Glassdoor

"Working in Windows"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Office for almost each employee.
- Working on products seen and used by billions.
- Large and variable set of automation, synchronization, coding.
- Large and awesome set of training courses.
- Excellent name recognition: I do not have to explain where I work or what I do.
- Windows is the strongest and most technical part of Microsoft.

Cons

- After the design phase, you focus on very narrow stuff which limits your learning.
- Good visible projects are assigned based on your relation to level-2 managers. If the relation is good, then you get good projects and good reviews. Otherwise, you are screwed.
- Technical excellence is not the key in survival, but communicating every single item you work on to anybody and everybody plus courting them. Sometimes, it is just too corny.
- Try to move to Project Manager (fastest promotions) or to developrment (2nd fastest promotions), and avoid test as it will affect your job seeking afterwards.

Advice to Management

I have been exposed to higher management: directors and VPs. Managers try their hard to cover their a---- more than handling the product quality. Anybody that may threaten this, will result in his demise.
Second, Microsoft is a very powerful company, and we had core issues that led to our success: openness to third party developers and our ecosystem. The trend of secrecy to increase the Wow factor, copied from Apple, is not very good to our company.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Great opportunity, challenging environment."

Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to impact at global scale; compensation and benefits; opportunity to do many different jobs within one company; global opportunity.

Cons

Frequent and disruptive re-organizations; employee calibration system forces a ranking curve so every year 20% of employees receive a low ranking regardless of their contribution.

"Good Learning Ground"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to start off your career in that you can get exposure to a lot of different products/groups. Excellent health benefit package and gym benefits.

Cons

Extremely political and not very innovative. Work life balance is a struggle on most teams/organizations. While there are some good pockets within the company, constant re-orgs create too much churn.

Advice to Management

lose the stack ranking system and political based re-orgs