Microsoft - Great experience and a lot of freedom. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great experience and a lot of freedom."

Former Employee - Student Intern In Ms Research Asia in Haidian, Beijing (China)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have a nice mentor when I worked in Microsoft Research Asia. The nicest part is that I have a lot of freedom to work on what I am interested in, not his requirement.

Cons

MS Research Asia only has strong groups in some area, but not my area.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Learned a lot, developed a lot. Great company to work for a number of years."

Former Employee - Finance Manager
    Former Employee - Finance Manager

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few pros:
    1-Very professional work force molds you into representing yourself the best way you can in your future career.
    2-Fast paced and a lot of challenges, teaches you a lot on the job.
    3-Fun teams with casual environment, great relationships and lifelong friendships.
    4-Flexible work schedule, no set business hours and face time required as long as deliverables are hit.
    5-Compensation and Benefits are second to none (but comes with the extra hours)

Cons

1-Work Life Balance is a focus area for the company, but almost impossible to maintain a workweek less than 50-60+ hours, or you will not be regarded as a hard working employee. Nighttime work is the norm. It is about how late can you stay up and still show up at work in the morning.
    2-Very tough review system, everyone is smart and start playing games to get ahead of each other. Some people get unfair reviews if they are managing up or spend significant amount of time on office politics
    3-Random firedrills are a culture, being planful is almost penalized, as plans do not stick and you end up spending all the time to be proactive and planful and not getting the benefit.

Advice to Management

Change the Review System, it is emotionally draining and creates more than necessary competition among employees. May have been great during start up years, not effective with large number of employees.
    Beware of office politics and reward people for good work, not by who they report to or know.

2. "Microsoft is great place to work at."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New innovative work, Great people around, Fun, outings

Cons

A big company, so it takes a lot of work to make an impact. This con is a positive con!!

Advice to Management

Its the best!! :)