Microsoft - Great People & Benefits...Questionable Middle Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great People & Benefits...Questionable Middle Management"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

forerunner in creating great benefits, healthcare, 401(k), ESPP..even gave us $800/year for gym membership or exercise equipment. The people there were also great (if you like a-type personalities). Was the first company I've worked for where I genuinely liked going out to lunches, trips, and events with my fellow coworkers.

Cons

they really force you to drink their kool-aid. I also hated having to attend annual/semi-annual irrelevant events. Middle management was very questionable--many focused too much on numbers instead of bringing out the best in their direct reports. Claim to support diversity but still a very male, white or asian company.

Advice to Management

Create & support more programs that truly value young talent and diverse. Select managers based on people management capabilities not just ability to drive numbers.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Consultant without a desk, required to be at my desk during business hours, heh heh."

Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Financial Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks such as transportation pass, parking, drinks in kitchen and frequent parties.

Cons

High vender turnover, large bureaucracy, more emphasis on being "at your desk" than getting things done, but this depends on department and manager.

Advice to Management

Use the FTE's more, and reduce usage of vendors. Create a pathway for vendors to become FTE's. Put more emphasis on getting things done, less on being at your desk. Let mobile vendors be mobile, or give them a desk.

2. "Best place I have worked at"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary
    Benefits
    Peers - very intelligent
    Career paths

Cons

There is no check/balance to ensure you and your manager are compatible

Advice to Management

Do a better job sharing the company's vision to the rest of the company
    Better marketing is necessary