Microsoft - Good Pay, Great Benefits - death by committee! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Good Pay, Great Benefits - death by committee!"

Former Employee - Partner Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Partner Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the culture of Microsoft as well as how they treat there employees. The work was fast paced and challenging. It's a hard company to get into - but once you are there, if you do good work you will be recognized.

Cons

Typical meeting had 10-15 people all with laptops open reading email, ignoring the topic at hand as they usually had no "say" and were just in the loop so as to spread responsibility. Very bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Trust your managers - or fire them. If you have more than three people in a room chances are a lot of time is going to get wasted that should have been used productively. Use email and polls to get buy-in.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Program Manager and Developer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager and Developer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus
    Flexible work policies are common
    Free drinks
    Smart people to work with
    Great Health Care- but this is changing significantly in 2013

Cons

Review System- it has become more important to "manage your career" than create great products
    Review System- Promotes back stabbing and an unhealthy, toxic work environment
    Bloated software products that no longer delight the industry
    Horrible software licensing system
    Engineering "silos" of developer/test/program management which are ineffective and inefficient

I left Microsoft after 13 years. For the first 11 years, I received excellent performance evaluations. Then, when the review system changed, I suddenly found myself to be rated a poor performer- despite being the only person in my group to actually deliver a feature that shipped! Once you get a bad review, you are labeled as such and a comeback is extremely unlikely. I decided to leave before enduring more undeserved humiliation. I now work on open source software, and have replaced all of my windows based devices and software with open source, Apple, and Android equivalents. This turned out to be much easier than expected- leading me to realize that Microsoft is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Steve Ballmer should go
    Review system should be revamped

2. "Cheap, Competitive payrates for Contractors."

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free Coffee made from real beans. lol Lots of smart people, and top talent to be around. Inspiring. You'll meet some of the most talented, driven, aggressively smart, and most knowledgeable people in the Industry. Except for the Nepotists.

Cons

Unnecessarily competitive in a weird way, can be intimidating, lots of nerds, very narrow focus, but highly detailed. The nepotism ruins it all. Even hiring friends over another that's more passionate about the Industry is what holds Microsoft back in the dust of Apple and Google. LOL

Advice to Management

Leave the Harvard Business Formalities at home, this is the new frontier we're trying to create, not perpetuate textbook methodologies.