Microsoft - A good place to have a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"A good place to have a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay
Opportunity to work with smart people

Cons

Benefit landscape is changing
Pockets of leadership where the company values aren't realized

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"An uphill battle for anyone not from an engineering background."

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, both in salary and benefits. Exposure to cutting edge technologies, as well as brilliant minds, across a variety of media. Large amount of personal freedom, tempered with responsibility.

Cons

Review system is counter-productive to innovation, morale, cooperation, and retention of top talent. Company's size makes it slow to change process towards something more nimble and competitive. Regular workers often fall victim to executive turf wars. While MS claims to be moving towards "product focus" and "valuing design," very few people on senior leadership team truly understand what this means and are able to manage this change appropriately; despite its marketing, it's still a deeply entrenched engineering company. Terrible work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Recognize the importance of creative (and perhaps intuitive) leadership to your newly reinvented company. This means recognizing design as a true discipline, with representation (Sr. VP / President) at the executive level, that can champion user-centric design.

2. "It wasn't for me"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had great job security, I worked on impactful products that people know about and use, the salary and benefits were great. I felt I was able to have a life and not live at the office.

Cons

It's a bureaucratic organization where it is hard to innovate. In many cases, bad management decisions result in poor products being released that don't necessarily provide the user with any benefit.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more freedom to create their own role.