Microsoft - Great place to intern, not sure if I'd want to stay there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great place to intern, not sure if I'd want to stay there"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Solid, stable company. Hey, in this economy, that's nothing to sneeze at. The impression that I have is that (in spite of the layoffs) that's still more or less the case.
As an intern I found that the company policy was very open towards interns -- I was surprised and impressed at the knowledge available to me and the trust placed in me.

Cons

I found that
And seriously, free food would go miles towards a more awesome work environment.
As an intern I found that the full time employees assigned to work with me were preoccupied with their real jobs to the exclusion of helping me out; however, this might have been a peculiarity of my group or situation, or possibly I should have reached out more myself, as I know other interns did not find this to be the case.

Advice to Management

Encourage the big-picture openness of communication to filter down to the little things where it really matters.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Ok overall, but not alot of innovation at MS"

Current Employee - Program Manager II
    Current Employee - Program Manager II

Pros

-great benefits package for families
    -relatively stable compared to other tech companies even in this climate
    -pay is decent

Cons

-no innovation, and such traits are not cultured in the company
    -lots of politics due to stack ranking
    -people are often promoted not because of merit

Advice to Management

-make innovation a key career trait, and create an environment that cultivates innovation.

"Microsoft still good, but not what it used to be."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

Pros

Training and technical skill development are generally encouraged during your entire career. So if you are the type of person who is always looking to improve your technical skillset, it's as good a place as any for this. Other good points are that the people surrounding you are going to be some of the smartest minds on the planet. This is not an exaggeration. Because of this, on the job training at Microsoft is looked at by most other companies as a very valuable commodity. Indeed, I've had other employers head hunt me strictly based on my experience at MS without even bothering to ask me tech questions in the interviews.

Cons

Innovation at Microsoft has unfortunately died. The company will probably never actually fold up or go under, but if you're looking to make your mark on the world and innovate, this is not the place for you. Some of the leadership ladders go twenty levels deep (!) from the leaf node to the CEO. This means that if you are looking to be a vice president or director or some other highly placed leader, you have virtually no chance of getting there from an IC (individual contributor) roll. The amount of people you would have to leap frog is just too many.

Microsoft used to be about the most secure job you could get in the tech industry. However, the latest (second) round of wholesale layoffs, that have nothing to do with the individuals' job performance, should give you pause.

Advice to Management

Reduce about ten levels of middle management and get back in the business of making great software, not great business numbers. If you just make the great software, the great profits will follow.