Microsoft - Decent.. but not perfect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Decent.. but not perfect"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are great - really smart and fun - we work hard and play hard. They have given us some great access to products at low or no costs. Dog fooding the latest and greatest software is pretty great and I would miss that if I left.

Cons

The review process is the worst - it creates a culture of mistrust and fierce, unhealthy competition amongst peers. There seems to be a push to get rid of long term employees, that have always been great performers, in order to "save money" since they make too much after being around for so long. The sales side is now getting horrible reviews (4 or 5) if they don't make 100% of quota and leaving for the competition.

Advice to Management

Change the review model!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Not as good as it once was."

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic exposure to technology, people and cultures--great diversity.
    There are a few shining stars for product lines and people.
    Competitive salary, benefits packages, employee discounts.
    Large company offers many opportunities in other business units, different products or different roles.

Cons

Too much of the all smaller product lines exist to help sell the larger product lines mentality. Stack ranking is creating a culture of people that do not work together, but instead work just to get ahead of their colleagues.
    Too Redmond focused--field promotions and opportunities are harder to find outside of there.

Advice to Management

Look at the stock price over the last 10 years--why is Steve B. still there? Clear out the middle management--their only purpose is to track things and act as Yes-men/women to upper level management. Change the culture and how you look at people as new ideas or different approaches are misconstrued as not being a team player so good talent is leaving all the time. Stop pouring money into bad products (or at least those that aren't competitive); pull the plug and invent something better rather than continuing with minor new releases--Zune, Bing, Vista, Windows Mobile, and the jury is still out on Windows 8. Stop the layoffs--you are not in financial jeopardy..

2. "A great 'choose your own adventure' company"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Microsoft for 7 years and the thing that is best about it is that it is truly 'choose your own adventure'. There is great freedom to choose a path whether it is by function (changing from product to marketing to sales) to career trajectory (be the next VP, choose a slower growth, aim for work/life balance), etc.

Cons

It has all of the typical challenges of a large company - difficulty in making decisions. In addition, Microsoft is just learning how to coordinating across divisions.