Microsoft - Decent.. but not perfect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Decent.. but not perfect"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are great - really smart and fun - we work hard and play hard. They have given us some great access to products at low or no costs. Dog fooding the latest and greatest software is pretty great and I would miss that if I left.

Cons

The review process is the worst - it creates a culture of mistrust and fierce, unhealthy competition amongst peers. There seems to be a push to get rid of long term employees, that have always been great performers, in order to "save money" since they make too much after being around for so long. The sales side is now getting horrible reviews (4 or 5) if they don't make 100% of quota and leaving for the competition.

Advice to Management

Change the review model!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great place to work if it aligns with your career goals."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of resources, career mobility and strong investments in employee development. Product quality is high, pricing and policies are transparent. Limited travel in most roles is good for family life.

Cons

Low innovation value for customers. Intensely political and bureaucratic. Not a great culture for professional sales people. The company is focused on technology, not customers. The senior management has been there too long. They need a new crop of leaders who are willing to overthrow the old orthodoxy in favor of a new, customer-centric path of innovative products.

2. "A great 'choose your own adventure' company"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Microsoft for 7 years and the thing that is best about it is that it is truly 'choose your own adventure'. There is great freedom to choose a path whether it is by function (changing from product to marketing to sales) to career trajectory (be the next VP, choose a slower growth, aim for work/life balance), etc.

Cons

It has all of the typical challenges of a large company - difficulty in making decisions. In addition, Microsoft is just learning how to coordinating across divisions.