Microsoft - Best in Seattle | Glassdoor

"Best in Seattle"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to make an impact, contribution potential is exceptional. Excellent work-life balance.

Cons

We often work, including during off-time. Totem rating is often unfair, as it rewards those with tenure and typically punishes those who are new or not vocal.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft - A declining company"

Former Employee - Director Product Management in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director Product Management in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair to good pay, stable company, good benefits, especially if you have a family. Working at Microsoft affords you a middle to upper middle class lifestyle in a beautiful part of the country (Microsoft is based in the Pacific Northwest).

Cons

Corporate is quite political and based on a stack ranking where those who do not know you or your work are giving your compensation and reviews. This means that you're spending quite a bit time building and managing your "self brand" and managing those around you and especially above you. Those that can play politics well will do well, however it does not mean that the best ideas make its way to the top. It my belief that the main reason is that the company has a significant amount of bloat with layers upon layers of people who are trying to justify their role. This was not always the case - certainly not the case when I joined nearly 14 years ago (I was there for 11 years and left three years ago).

Advice to Management

One word - LEAD.

"Losing our passion to bureaucracy"

Current Employee - International Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - International Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A job that appeals to "A-types". Beginning to look at competitive salary compensation now. Lots of different jobs to try out once you are in. Free soft drinks!

Cons

MS is becoming stagnant and promotions are becoming more and more difficult as each year passes particularly in the core groups like Windows and Office. If you are not an overachiever, prepare to be quickly filtered out. Work life balance is becoming an increasing problem as consolidation of resources continues at an alarming rate. MS had a medical plan that was top in the PNW up to 2012 but thanks to "Obamacare", has joined the "meh" category.

Advice to Management

Stacked ranking is an old system for keeping friends in their jobs, not promoting the real performers.