Microsoft - Great company to work at | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good benefits. This company takes good care of their employee.
- Opportunity to work with smart people and various products

Cons

Big company, lots of policies, sometimes the process is really slow. You have to deal with lots people and different teams to get things moving.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Diverse products to work on, senior talent to learn from, always seeking to improve."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tired on working on the operating system in the Windows Division? You can get a job at Bing on Search technologies or Kinect working on human computer interaction or databases in SQL, all without changing your company. Microsoft's diversity of products makes it a dream for computer science grads.
    Plenty of senior talent makes for great mentorship opportunities for new engineers. The depth and expertise of developers at Microsoft is obvious as evidenced by the recent appearance of Google and Facebook in Seattle to grab this tech talent.
    Not afraid to make big bets, Microsoft should never be counted out, whether it is investing in a gaming console for the living room or making the Surface or delivering the next generation smart phone OS in a short period of time. The same diversity of products I mentioned earlier puts it in the unique position in the industry to create integrated experiences that only it can create in short periods of time.
    We may not get free lunch everyday but where it counts, our benefits rock. Did I mention the health care benefits at the company are the best in the industry (yes, despite the changes in 2013)? Sorry Google and Facebook.

Cons

We're not exactly the leaders in the consumer segment right now and what's worse is that we are probably a generation behind in tablets and smart phones, when we really had no reason to be. It's going to be an uphill battle against iOS and Android.
    Microsoft is still learning how to release products at a fast cadence, something that is critical to being competitive in the industry today. Some groups at Microsoft are not as fast paced as you might like - ask when you interview.

Advice to Management

Get aggressive at preventing top talent from leaving for Google, Amazon and Facebook.
    Make it easier to change jobs within the company. If we have to do 5 interviews for a job within the company, and 5 for other companies, why wouldn't your top talent try out both options?
    Stop chasing the tail-lights. Let's really focus on product (I said product, not tech) innovation in-house, so we're not left trying to chase after markets that our competition creates.

2. "Company that walks the talk, but you need to understand the politics behind"

Former Employee - Solution Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Solution Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great place to work with great benefits
    - Work/life balance may not be ideal, but management is very interested to improve it
    - Stable and complex organization that will certainly provide you great experience
    - Great exit options and great place to build a long-term career

Cons

- Unless you understand the politics behind, you are not going to move up quickly
    - Even when you do, most of the opportunities are lateral
    - You are not changing the world, most of the time, you are just making sure it doesn't fall apart

Advice to Management

If you are a middle manager, help your employees to understand how to be successful--not just by working hard--but by working smarter.