Microsoft - Gratifying, at times frustrating, under-appreciated company for how good it is to work here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Gratifying, at times frustrating, under-appreciated company for how good it is to work here."

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Complex and meaningful challenges to work on.
Smart people.
Solid benefits (especially health - even after introducing copays in 2013), with great pay.
Respect of work-life balance (mostly).
Great resources -- e.g., almost any research you want, any time. Company enriches your time with them. Comfortable, friendly work environment.
Diversity/minorities valued.

Cons

1) Experience tends to be fairly manager-specific. Unfortunately managers do *not* seem to get much course correction if they don't manage well, and most people end up rotating to other teams.
2) Decision-making and course-commitment is fairly challenging. Analysis and feedback can continue unchecked with no specific outcome (or accountability for stalling the process). This leaves smart people disillusioned and jaded.

Note: Culture can vary from division to division. Xbox group is rumored to be quite good.

Advice to Management

Balancing my Pros against Cons: we have supplied a great place to work, contribute and build experience...only so people can find other jobs. How can we do a better job to make Microsoft an employer of active choice, especially for the hottest talent?

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"No longer a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a software developer, one can always find interesting projects/technologies to work on. Although benefits have been cut a lot, it's still very competative compared to other companies.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy actually makes individual contributors less productive. Also, in past 10 years, the company has invested so much in mobile and search but the results are really unsatisfactory. Hope things will change little bit.

Advice to Management

I don't understand why for every 6 ICs there is one lead whose job is basically going to meeting all day. The company can get rid all of them and still do well.

2. "Best employer ever!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They treat you really, really well. World's best health insurance. Employees are clearly valued. Rating process feels very fair and transparent. Lots of interesting and relevant work. Very little bureaucracy. On the inside, it's clear that this is an exceptionally innovative company, and that we're working on solving all the right problems in the right ways. We also have a clear revenue model, which means that our interests are aligned with those of our product's users, in a way that isn't true for all companies in the industry (many of whom rely on advertising revenue to a much greater extent).

Cons

The food is pretty bad. (Yes, that's really the worst thing about working here.)