Microsoft - My 2 cents | Glassdoor

"My 2 cents"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get a chance to work on great product

Cons

Company is huge so the sense of existence is relatively weaker

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "The Good & the Bad of Msft...."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large Company, Lots of Marketing People, Funds set aside to help Market Products, Lots of Products, Long history of relationships with customers, Msft even has Financing options available to customers to make "deals' happen (ie 0% for 6-12 months). Good health benefits. Good match in 401k.

Cons

Trying to move up in large company is nearly impossible, seems the manager turnover only penalizes the FTE even more because then there no "current advocates" for FTE when it comes time for Annual Review and Stock Award. Annual Review Process is stacked against 80% of the workers. Good people lose in the Annual Review Process.

Advice to Management

Change the way you evaluate FTEs.

"Sad company, 100% political, No more a Innovative company, Don't ruin your life here"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A decent paycheck & good benefits to run your family better.
    Considering windows share more than 80% of world OS, you can see interesting tech products every two years.
    You can change organisations if you are not screwed with stack ranking
    When joining negotiate and get a job with higher level because once you join growth is very slow

Cons

I had great respect for Microsoft when I joined. I turned down Google for Microsoft. This is what I get from Microsoft for that.

i) No value to real work.
    ii) Talk, talk and talk BS. Add politics to it and you will grow.
    iii) Company is full of managers who are C+ or B+. The only task of these people are play politics, stab on other people and grow. A completely disgusting culture.
    iv) People with passion for Microsoft are home grown. Typically they are freshers join the company and fed with Microsoft biased videos. These noob's eventually create the creepy culture inside Microsoft.
    v) Company management dont care for people. They fire people easily for no reason.
    vi) Don't expect to get a amazing job elsewhere because of MS brand. This is no more respected anymore. Companies like Google or Apple rock in this matter.
    Work life balance sucks if you are in lower level.

( LAST one ) Microsoft has a stack ranking system. Its screws up 50% of people even if you are the best. 50% of company is walking dead who hate their job. Now imagine the company with this culture. If you are the best look elsewhere because Microsoft is not for the BEST

Advice to Management

Screw your management. Fire Balmer. Put Balmer on stack ranking system and make him feel he is in the lower 20%. Yes get him fired too. would love to see him jumping like a mad dog.

I can never recommend Microsoft as A+ company anymore. If you get offer from Google, go there.