Microsoft - Great company! I'm proud that I'm part of this team. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great company! I'm proud that I'm part of this team."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA

Pros

There are numerous reasons for why I choose to work for Microsoft: getting paid for what I really enjoy doing, excellent advancement opportunities, fast growing company, great benefits, fun working environment, extremely talented/smart people etc.

Cons

It's quite difficult to get in, even if you know the requirements for the job. It helps a lot to know somebody inside! My friend was a babysitter for this manager at Microsoft and now she is his personal assistant (no experience, no knowledge whatsoever).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Listen to your workers and embrace the diversity of talent within your division.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"The best place to build software."

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

Pros

You have the opportunity to make an impact on the world stage along side some of the best and the brightest from all over the world. Microsoft takes an active interest in developing its employees and their compensation and benefits are top-notch.

Microsoft listens to its employees. The programs and benefits it offers are constantly changing in reponse to that feedback.

Finally, its a company with a very diverse product line that is always moving into new areas so it's possible to make big career changes without needing to start over with a new company.

Cons

Its a huge company and despite its constant financial success its stock price is stagnant. Its not for the get-rich-quick crowd.

It can be a bit demoralizing to not be able to read the tech news without finding some article demonizing Microsoft for one thing or another. Microsoft is making huge strides in improving its reputation, but it still has a long way to go. You need to develop a thick skin for dealing with outspoken anti-Microsoft zealots.

Advice to Management

Stay aggressive. Keep pushing into new markets, but don't throw the money away. Push for some level of consistant fiscal responsibility between the divisions. Stay sharp in the standards fight. Keep trying to build your relationship with the open source community and the European Comission.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft gives software developers a lot of personal freedom over both the work and the work environment. I can order my own supplies, customize my office as I see fit, schedule my own trips and meetings, and select my own training courses. I choose when I show up for work and when I leave, and what to wear while I'm there. I can eat on campus or off, reheat something from home in the kitchen or scavenge leftovers from meetings. I can even work remotely from home (within reason).

Cons

The people here are very driven and a little socially dysfunctional

Advice to Management

Too many personality cults.