Microsoft - Smart people, great culture, results oriented | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Smart people, great culture, results oriented"

Current Employee - Principal Lead in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Principal Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft still has the smartest people in the industry and continues to attract top talent. The employees are well taken care of with good salary and benefits and great work environment.

Cons

Senior leadership at Microsoft is primarily focused on personal empire building. Steve Ballmer is not a technology visionary and is unable to lead the company into the future. He seems to have surrounded himself with cronies and yes-men who only share good news, and do not show the real ground truth.

Advice to Management

The current review model encourages people to work against the interest of the company, while focusing on personal gain. People hide bad news, over play small improvements for visibility and spend a lot of time sucking up to the management chain.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Too political and lack of diversity"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, community, opportunity to learn new technologies. It is all about software and you work with really smart people. You have your own office.
    I am a woman and I like that Microsoft partners with women organizations.

Cons

Too political. If you want to have a career at Microsoft you need to have a sponsor. It doesn't matter how good you are at what you do and how intelligent you are. It doesn't matter your reputation outside. You need to build a reputation inside and always have one or more sponsors. It is also a very competitive environment and they privilege competitiveness over collaboration besides they say and "promote" the contrary. That can become very stressful because you have to work really hard and many of your peers will try to discredit you and that gets worse when the review period is closer.
    Microsoft also doesn't do a good job regarding diversity. I see it as a quite homogeneous ecosystem. In many of the groups (I won't say all because I only worked in a few) most of the employees are Indian males and the very few women are mostly Indian or Arabian and they are usually shy, don't speak up (maybe that explains why there are so few senior women). I am a woman coming from a more liberal culture and I really feel intimidated by this. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against any particular culture, it is just the lack of diversity that I don't like. I don't feel I have much in common with most of the people I work/worked with here.

Advice to Management

Higher management: Seriously look outside! Stop looking on the snow white magic mirror!
    Middle management: If you'd only paid more attention to the ones who really do their job even when they don't tell you are the fairest of them all.

2. "Great place to work as long as you can roll with the inconsistent strategies."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities within Microsoft.

Cons

There is a perception that people should move from their current position every two to three years. In some cases high performers who like their current position may move even though they are happy where they are. They person my wind-up unhappy, and there current groups loses the tribal knowledge. Also, many are not happy with the medical benefit changes.

Advice to Management

The branding of Microsoft needs to completely change. Our last branding change wasn't significant, so the public perceives us as the same ole (not dynamic or cutting edge) Microsoft.