Microsoft - Great company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great company to work for"

Pros

Diverse workforce and product portfolio. Movement within the company means you can always find something "new" to do. Excellent benefits even as they've been curtailed over the years.

Cons

In the dwindling minority of Fortune 500 companies that still subscribe to Jack Welch's "Rank and Yank" review system.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Nice place to work for any techies"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wide breadth and depth of technology areas to work for.

Cons

Transitioning to devices and services world can be longer, the mind-shift can be confusing meanwhile.

"Too political and lack of diversity"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, community, opportunity to learn new technologies. It is all about software and you work with really smart people. You have your own office.
    I am a woman and I like that Microsoft partners with women organizations.

Cons

Too political. If you want to have a career at Microsoft you need to have a sponsor. It doesn't matter how good you are at what you do and how intelligent you are. It doesn't matter your reputation outside. You need to build a reputation inside and always have one or more sponsors. It is also a very competitive environment and they privilege competitiveness over collaboration besides they say and "promote" the contrary. That can become very stressful because you have to work really hard and many of your peers will try to discredit you and that gets worse when the review period is closer.
    Microsoft also doesn't do a good job regarding diversity. I see it as a quite homogeneous ecosystem. In many of the groups (I won't say all because I only worked in a few) most of the employees are Indian males and the very few women are mostly Indian or Arabian and they are usually shy, don't speak up (maybe that explains why there are so few senior women). I am a woman coming from a more liberal culture and I really feel intimidated by this. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against any particular culture, it is just the lack of diversity that I don't like. I don't feel I have much in common with most of the people I work/worked with here.

Advice to Management

Higher management: Seriously look outside! Stop looking on the snow white magic mirror!
    Middle management: If you'd only paid more attention to the ones who really do their job even when they don't tell you are the fairest of them all.