Microsoft - Fantastic environment to play, learn, and grow. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Fantastic environment to play, learn, and grow."

Former Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My internship at Microsoft Research surpassed all of my expectations in the best way possible. I spent 12 weeks surrounded by motivated and curious students and researchers who were not only interested in helping me develop an interesting research project, but also interested in helping me develop as a researcher. Everyone I engaged with, from my mentor to team members to our group manager, spent time getting to know me and made me feel like a valued member of the MSR family.

Cons

At the time, FUSE was a bit far from the rest of the research division, but I believe that has been changed since.

Interns worked on solo projects, leaving little time for us to put our heads together and learn from each other.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have interns work together on a project or area of focus. This would allow them to push each other more and let FUSE create structured activities to support the group as a whole, rather than each individual project.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and exciting work. Good benefits and working conditions. Some great people and technologies.

Cons

Toxic and political environment. Very little team spirit. Divisions stab each other in the backs. Frequent reorganizations. Stacked ranking system forces even good people out of the company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of stacked ranking. Truly encourage team spirit and the "One Microsoft" mantra instead of only giving it lip service.

2. "I was happy working for Microsoft for 9 years - it's a great company and the leadership believes in their employees."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft has unbeatable benefits, intelligent coworkers and a wealth of resources to help you with your job. They don't politics get in the way of you being successful at your position, and try to eliminate the roadblocks.

Cons

It's a large company, so if you are not in Redmond it's difficult to navigate. If you are not, it's tricky to network and find the right contacts.

Advice to Management

Reinstate more telework positions.